Thursday, April 06, 2006

Damn it!

So, apparently I'm very succeptable to marketing. You know those internet banners where it's like "Punch Osama and win a camera"? Well, I do enjoy the punching. So I often do it, only to have to close 1-5 windows as a result. Today I was completely enraptured over a duck game. Hit 20 Ducks To Win!!!

Bring it. The first duck was easy, as was the next, and the proceeding five, however after that they started changing it up on me. Three ducks at once, one duck. Two that just blaze past. It was so fun I played it three times. And then I realized the lie of it all. They're just trying to get me to buy something. (Which was entirely forgettable as all I remember is the ducks. And the chanting "Hit the ducks, hit a duck, duck, duck, DUCK, IF ONLY THEY COULD DODGE MY SWIFT VENGENCE!")

It's the classic bait and switch tactic. Lead with a shiny duck game, then hit them with the limited time offer. This I can't tolerate. Scarcely any better is the current run of inaccurately named television programs. For instance, I can't imagine that Special Victims Unit isn't about crimes against the mentally challenged. And those would be some pretty cold-assed heinous crimes too. I'd watch that show. And I'd even want the perp to go to jail (I always want them caught, but then at the trial I end up rooting for the defense... I don't know why (Exception: rape)).

Another example that I find completely disappointing is Grey's Anatomy. Flipping through the channel listings I was painfully dissapointed not to find a show about the autopsies of (grey) aliens but about some damned chick doctor. It's Ally McBeal with a stethoscope. I want to see hardcore, alien dissection, or even vivisection if they nab a live one.

Finally, there's the show So NoTORious (sic), which should be... well, canceled.

Am I alone in this? I hereby become the founding member of Shows With Interesting Names Must Therefore Be Interesting Council, or SWINMTBIC for short. It's kind of a spin off from my radio group "Girls With Hot Voices Must Also Be Hot Society." Feel free to join either.

- Scott

16 comments:

  1. Same. I can't NOT click on those stupid ads. If Brad Pitt needs me to punch out the paparazzi, who am I to refuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:38 PM

    My favorite was the Punch the President ad. Joyfully, working for the company I do, I got to read hundreds of hateful emails from all the red state, right wing bible thumpers frothing at the mouth over this disrespect to our beloved, and worthy, Leader-in-Chief. Who probably could not spell chief if you asked him to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:27 AM

    You say the exception is rape, but on SVU every situation is a rape case. Jeez, do you even watch the damn show?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this Nessa girl, Scotty. I think you got yourself a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timmy, no kidding eh?

    Anon, I mean real rape. Not that statuatory crap. Nor do I mean the "technically illegal" stuff they sometimes have on. And on the normal Law and Order I'm almost always for the defense. Especially if it wasn't directly the defendant's fault the vic is dead. Or if I didn't like the victim.

    Nessa, yeah that was a good one. Not too much longer before we go to jail for that kind of thing.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:45 PM

    It still has the power to bring a tear to my eye, and a tic to my cheek.

    I've been a busy girl this weekend over at livejournal, ducks. Stop by, we've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Scott, I thought I posted on the last one. I wanted to give you 50 Bonus Points for making the Anti-Drug sticker. Simply put, it's perfect.


    Sometimes I try and punch Osama real quick and then close the box before anything can load...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Just to be clear, the anon poster above was not me.
    - Anonymous Rex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, the cadence was wrong. As was the placement of "damn." Sounds a lot like a certain Nick I know.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:18 AM

    Cadence??? Placement of words? Scott, are you that good that you can figure out who is commenting just by what they say? I'm here to test your people prowess!
    So...who am I??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Well, I'm no expert, but based upon the number of exclamation points, and question marks, I'd say anon is either Jack or Carole Bender - http://www.comics.com/comics/alleyoop/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well mystery anon, I wanted to say you were Cara. But I thought about it and she doesn't watch SVU, nor would she have used damn so casually. Then I was thinking Grade A(my) Woman, but she always signs her posts.

    So this is most definitely Erin "Eddi" Davis. Mystery solved.

    - Scott

    P.S. If you weren't her, you now have to be.
    P.P.S. My second choice was Michelle Crow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was I right? I'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Well done!
    [url=http://rpefdvjn.com/aesx/ipsr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wlgdytwm.com/gdgh/vyfv.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Well done!
    http://rpefdvjn.com/aesx/ipsr.html | http://sbwteakj.com/kgyz/eryy.html

    ReplyDelete