Tuesday, April 25, 2006

10 Grand, 90 more and I'll infringe on a candy bar.

I would just like to throw up a quick post commemorating this blog's 10,000th hit. I'm sure it actually happened many months ago, but this is the 10,000th hit that I've noticed. It's pretty astonishing; either 10,000 individual people have come here and read of my grandeur or a somewhat smaller number have come back several times. Or the band 10,000 Maniacs has visited my blog once. If so I wish they would have commented. I mean, what with visiting my site and sucking down bandwidth like a blue whale gulps down plankton, come on would one comment have killed you? (And if so, could it have killed Natalie Merchant?)

I'd like to thank the following people for this high honor:

  • My family; I couldn't have done it without you. Literally. You're prerequisites for my existence.
  • The internet.
  • The faceless thousands, and faceful few who have visited my blog.
  • The photographer responsible for this Wham! album cover. I look at it and draw strength enough to go on living.
  • God. Who has graciously decided not to smite me from the face of the earth, in spite (or perhaps because) of what I've posted here. Looking back the tsunami jokes could have been put on hold a month. Also, I have to think he gets a kick out of the Crush of the Week segment. I mean, I'm really just complimenting some of his finer work.
But seriously, thanks everyone for comming back so many times. It's very hard for me to resist the temptation to turn honest sentiments into some kind of farcical rant, but I'm sincere in my appreciation for all the times you've typed my ridiculous URL into that address bar and hit enter. Those who use RSS feeds are also thanked, but slightly less so.

- Scott

6 comments:

  1. P.S. (In the comments section, likely inciting the ire of Tim. That I happen to find that hilarious does not negate the ease of replying in this manner.)

    Oh hell, I just wasted that P.S.

    P.P.S. For the next two days I'll be incommunicado. My father needs me to help replace the engine on our sailboat, and so I go*. I should return sometime late on Wednesday, so expect a post then. Or perhaps early Thursday. I'll be a very tired sailor at that point.

    * I love saying "...and so I go." I try to slip it in as often as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider my ire incited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also...congratulations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... personally I thought it was pretty monumentous. I gave myself a trophy and everything (pictures comming soon). It says, "Happy 10,000. Everyone loves you." Best fifty dollars I ever spent.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, are they 10,000 unique visitors? because I'm wondering if it was just 10,000 views of your page, which about 5,600 would be yourself trying to see if people have commented yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. They're unique buddy. Ridiculously unique. I'd like to stereotype them, but I'm forced to accept them as individuals, just as the hit counter does. The number alone is staggering.

    But you're right. If it was based on my viewing my own page I'm sure it would be several thousand higher. It's just on my circuit. Along with Facebook, Myspace, and all the links I've listed in Mis Blogo's Favoritos. I'm a busy man. With an expensive trophy.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete