Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Offending the system, one drone at a time.

I'm not too big on corporate buzz words/terms/ways of thinking/well, corporate anything more or less. Especially the whole interview ritual. Because let's be serious for a second, it really is just a ritual. If the anthropologist aliens are studying it, they probably look at it the way we look at baboons fanning their asses at one another. In a way I'd prefer it to be so simple. Here's the thing, I'm charming, good looking, humble, and completely qualified for any job you can think of. So such trivalities as actually working, or being bothered to interview for a position is a bit below me. Perhaps it wouldn't be, if it were actually what its supposed to be. I.e. Go in, present your abilities, get selected on the basis of how good a job they think you can do.

But noooooo it has to be a whole fashion/etiquette howdy dow. My Carreer Development or Job Management or Some Shit Related To Working (I hate that class and refuse to memorize the exact name) teacher makes it all worse. She has us stand up and critiques us based on what we wear to class. Publically. As a result, I dress as poorly as I possibly can on those days. It pisses her off. I recently turned in an 'informational interview' we were supposed to (and this was assigned directly out of the book) go out and interview a person in a job we want. As this is work, I didn't do it. Instead I took the opportunity to fabricate a person and have them say the things I wanted to. Here's a sample of that work:

ME: What is the typical entry-level position in this field?
Made up person: The typical entry-level position is doing bitch work for someone like me. After a few years you move up to delegating bitch work to others.

ME: What skills do you use the most? Least?
MUP: Most: Technical, troubleshooting, working on the problem at hand. Least: I don’t know, I guess using that fruity corporate speak they teach you in college.

I was understandably eager to see what kind of feedback I would get on such an assignment. I mean, I can't censor my interviewee can I? What kind of fair and impartial reporter would I be if I did that? I expected something about language. I expected some kind of loss of points because I blatantly made up a person and had them say outrageous things (which only seem interesting if you're in the class, or I would have included them). What I didn't expect from her was a letter about her 'feelings'. I must have missed the class where I married this woman.

Continued in comments:

10 comments:

  1. Notes from me within the body of the letter are in bold otherwise it's some dumb shit she wrote.

    re: Professionalism (I love when people start a letter "re: Overarching message of the letter")

    Regaurdless of your scholarly status, it's a good idea to treat others w/ respect and not flaunt your intelligence (almost looks like she wrote 'you intellingence here, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt) if you want to get far in your career. For example, I've heard -- as well as the entire class -- about your scholarly status @ (sic) least 5-6 times... (yeah when I was explaining why I was late for or wouldn't be in class. I might add that I not even once used the faggy term 'scholarly status')

    And it's not a real good idea to call your professors "Hey" like "Hey you" - we have names just as your boss & co-workers will have in business. Intelligence is not an excuse for disrespect.

    Of course it's not an excuse for disrespect, it's a means by which disrespect can be accomplished. For instance, I proof read this letter and made corrections. Then I put it back in her mailbox and asked her if she had tried peer revision. I decided it would probably be one toe over the line to mention that her peers are in grade school, so I left that out. In closing, piss off lady.

    - Scott

    P.S. I could have made fun of her use of 'real' as in 'real good idea' but I felt that too would be overkill.

    P.P.S. It did make it into my revision of her letter though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God, it's like I spawned you myself. In every instance of me being kicked out, fired, banned or forcibly removed, some sort of wise ass letter was involved. I'm so... I'm just so proud of you (sniffle).

    P.S. Beware the ideal threat of "slander" lawsuits with these people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slander?! I'm appalled! Because in print it's called libel.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reiterate my earlier summary of Scotty's humor: "I truly believe that sooner or later, one of Scotty's jokes is going to get him killed. I'm looking forward to this, not because I want him dead, but because it'll have to be a really good joke."

    I would now like to amend this statement by saying that the really good joke will more likely cause him to land in jail. Then he'll die.

    But it'll still be a really good joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Scott I wish I could get away with some of that stuff with Bosomworth at the high school. Well peace out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know. I know the difference between libel and slander. The people that threatened me didn't. Which is why I laughed at them. Which is why they had me forcibly removed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I must have missed the class where I married this woman."

    I got looks from my roommate for laughing out loud randomly.

    How have you avoided expulsion? It amazes me.

    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:58 PM

    This teacher really is a pain in the arse. Reminds me a lot of your JLo experiences the very first quarter and how she greatly despised your "What up" greeting each morning and describing her daughter has "handi-capable". Nonetheless, I can not wait to see how many more ways you can piss this lady off and still maintain a higher grade than me. I just hope that this post of your made up interview does not some how reach her ears, resulting in a failed assignment.

    -Zac

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:47 PM

    Man, sometimes I wish I had your guts. Sometimes, mind you.
    -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, nice Word Verificaton Scott. My word was Klharw. Can you explain to me what the hell klharw means? I tried to google it and it wanted to know if I meant Klahr. I don't know what either of those mean but I've gotten entirely off topic.

    The topic is I think you should approach your principal/president with the letter she sent you and put on your most sincere face. Tell dean of students or whatever the position is that you were totally unaware of whatever situation she was talking about and are concerned about the situation. Ask for some mediation, and the whole time try to be as sincere and heartfelt as possible so your teacher looks crazy. That's my idea.

    ReplyDelete