Friday, August 19, 2005

"Fair" and Balanced

I just got back from the State Fair. Let me tell you, that was some of the edgiest entertainment I have ever seen. It makes Rent look like The Music Man... Ok, I'm lying. It was quite possibly the corniest thing you can imagine. Except for one small facet of it: my MC-ing the Robert Morris College Jeopardy. It was actually the RMC Computer Jeopardy, another person did the Business Jeopardy, she drew a crowd of 5 or 6. When it was my turn, we're talking like 20-30. The first time went great, everything worked. I had good contestants, good rapport with them, they played along with my ridiculousness. It was perfect. The crowd enjoyed it.

Then came the second round. Contestants... not as good. Apparently my mistake was choosing two adolescent brothers who would rather punch each other over missing questions than play the game. And because when we get to double Jeopardy I call up "the Nerds" TM, to help them with hard questions, they were just mashing the buzz in button and turning to their nerds for the answer. So they got faster and faster at the buzz in. Eventually they would buzz in before anyone selected a category and I forced them to pre-emptively answer the question a la Carnac the Magnificent. Once again, completely lost on them.

Eventually, in the midst of this anarchy (that was actually quite funny) a well placed comment from a Nerd caused a minor problem. I kind of... dropped an f-bomb. It's just my reflexive reaction to any comment from that particular nerd. However this time, I was on the mic (rophone like a Boss DJ). And most of the audience heard it. And laughed! It didn't matter, I just made some joke about how sensitive the mic was and moved on. Even people from my school cut me slack over it. In fact one of my professors said that "the show was just so damn good other than that I don't think anyone will care". And even though I didn't talk to the dean after that, I don't think she's going to expell me for it. Good times were had by all.

I'd like to cap this post with a few bulleted things I thought were funny at the fair:

  • How far they put Germany from France in the international food section.
  • The country of BEER in the international food village.
  • The fact that Jamacians will jerk anything.
  • Old woman completely not hip, not with it, not even seemingly sure of where she is, wearing a shirt that said "Math is Hard" Hilarious.
  • I was blown away at how far we've come in shake-up technology. We've now advanced as a civilization to the point where we aren't just limited to the lemon shakeup. No! There are now Strawberry shake-ups, Peachshake-ups, Orange shake-ups, Rasberry shake-ups, and any combination there of. God bless America.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you saw Beer Country. I've made that observation the last couple years and no one seems to have fixed anything. I really think the organizers of the Illinois State Fair think Beer IS a country. At least in their world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? What classy people we have working that shindig.

    ReplyDelete