Saturday, August 13, 2005

An inspiring 'Summer of Junior Year' effort

Tim, quit blogging so much. I'm going to start calling you Rob. Rob, blog more I'm going to start calling you Scott. Scott, blog just the right amount. I'm going to keep calling you my sexy self. And finally, SPAMMERS, prepare for underhanded WAR! Failing that, just stay the hell out of my comments.

Now for the topic of this post. You may have noticed if you pay attention to reviews of new albums that after a group gets big, the next album they put out is called their 'Sophomore Effort'. Naturally, I think this would be a wicked awesome band name. And just after the band got famous, they intentionally put out a terrible record so that they can laugh at reviewers predictably making fun of their name.

But as awesome as my Glam Folk band: Sophomore Effort would be, it got me thinking about the whole naming convention. Their next album isn't called their Junior Effort, and after that it isn't their Senior release. What's the deal? Why can't we stick with this high school metaphore, and even extend it. Shouldn't the tracks themselves represent various stages of the high school year? Like if the reviewer was talking about the third track on the album shouldn't he call it the Homecomming track? Or if it was the second to last, maybe the After Prom Deflowering track?

And it can definately extend beyond highschool, for instance, there could be a 'Going to State College' release, and then a 'Changing my Major to Art History to Piss off my Dad' album, capped by a 'Got Drunk Listening to Dave Matthews and Knocked Up That Butter Face' effort. But I think I've just scratched the surface of what could be a whole new categorization of music.

Feel free - nay- feel obligated to leave your own album release euphemisms.

7 comments:

  1. I still love you Scott.

    Comments or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't think of any euphemisms. But I did discover that college-life cliches are way more funny once you've been out of college for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Begging people for comments on AIM" sounds like a good album name to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel not bad, fair Wendy. Twas the post and task that were too inaccessible and too vague respectively.

    Although, I did laugh at those college cliches. Especially anything to do with Dave Matthews. Somewhere between your Junior year of high school and your Freshman year of college you're supposed to fall in love with 'Dave'. Let me tell you what 'Dave' is. He's the missing link between the actual music you listen to in your youth and the muziak you listen to as an 'adult'.

    DOWN WITH DAVE!

    - Scott

    P.S. You're SO on the list Jake. SO on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake's been on my list all along. I've never bothered posting mine online, because... well... here, look for yourself:


    Rob's Bottom 5:
    1. Jake's Face
    2. Jake's Personality
    3. Jake's Attitude
    4. Jake's Personal Hygine
    5. Jake's Miserable Pathetic Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. When *I* was in college, back in the day--which was a Wednesday, by the way--Dave Matthews provided the anthem for the loser fraternity at my school... which frankly I would have preferred to the non-stop amateur production of Rent that plagued the art dorm where I lived.

    ReplyDelete