Monday, March 14, 2005

Call me Rooster Cogburn.

So, I just finished Ender's Game a few days ago and I was struck not so much by the great story, but by the kid's name: 'Ender'. Early on they mentioned that though it was a nick name, it is the name that the child uses to refer to himself. What a badass nickname, Ender. Say it with me class. Ennnnderrrr. Very good. You could be a 5'4 mathlete and when people overhear you at a club being introduced as 'Ender'...panties will drop.

Naturally I want to get me some of that, nickname that is. Despite my current gambit of nicknames like Scotty 2 Hotty, Scott the Cool, and Scott-that-one-really-hot-guy, I really wanted to be called Ender for a day or so. And that's when it struck me that this is a game I've played before. A game I call 'the impossible nickname', it usually takes place right after I see some movie where one character kicks ass and has a great nickname. For those of you wondering, yes this does account for the phase in my life when I wanted to be known as Colt.

Here's a breif list of names I've also wanted to be nicked, but never had any justification for:

  • Sice: Smooth and cool like Ice. Hence, Sice. Also a combination of Scott and Ice.
  • Shootemup Scott: This'n here was originally Shootemup Steve, which he was using for himself. Somewhere's I decided I liked it and feigned ignorance in an attempt to use it. Clearly, it failed.
  • Quickdraw Scotty: In a western post on the old message board this was a name Stevo gave me. Looking back, I kind of like it.
  • Colt: Thanks alot Three Ninjas, like I wasn't odd enough as a kid.
  • Commander Keen: Another choice I regret like the Valtrax girl regrets giving it up. I think this was the day Kevin Bland decided that he had hit me just a *bit* too hard, one too many times. And finally,
  • Scotty Quest. Now supposin' I could somehow keep an indian friend (after feeding him lots of fatty American foods to thicken his body, and his skin), don't tell me you can't see this one.
I think you're pretty well impressed by my list of distinguished nicknames. How's about you get off that high horse you're on and join the cavalcade of rediculous monikers. What 'impossible nickname' have you always wanted for yourselves? If you're lucky we might even start calling you that.

- Quickdraw

11 comments:

  1. I should note that despite my rediculous-ness I really hold Ender's Game as a loved novel. It's one of my Top 5 for sure. If you haven't read it, take a week and do it. I'll loan you my copy, you won't regret it.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 PM

    Scott-
    A number of things, and to keep things brief, I'll bullet all my comments.
    >The Yip Yips gave the me worst heebie-jeebies I've ever had in my life, up until the Blair Witch. And that's a whole 'nother story.

    >When Ender's Game becomes a movie, I'll sell my soul for a ticket. Again, not really, but "I'll wait in line for a couple of hours" doesn't have the literary punch that I needed.

    >If you haven't read Ender's Shadow, do. It's the genius of Ender's Game squared, or at least metric-ly cubed. Or something.

    >Speaking of, watch the movie Cube. There's also Cube 2, and Zero, the prequel. I've only seen the first, which is awesome. Plus, Rob hates the films with a passion. Watch, join the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second everything Josh said. The Yip Yips are creepy, they REALLY need to get around to the Ender's Game Movie, and Ender's Shadow is more awesome than the three Ender's Game sequels combined and multiplied by a jillion. Also, Cube is amazing.

    Josh, you've seen Cube 2. We watched it together, with Rob. Remember - the Hypercube, man! I haven't seen the prequel, but I doubt they'll ever match the awesomeness of the first one, which has probably the best movie soundtrack ever. Ta ta ta ta...

    Anyway, about the topic of the post. Josh calls me T, which is pretty cool in a white boy kind of way. But I really think it would be cool if I could be called Action Jackson or maybe The Amazing Rando. You know, names that have nothing to do with mine but were said in the credits of MST3K: The Movie. I have no idea why that's appealing to me.

    And 3 Ninjas was the coolest. THE COOLEST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Ender's Shadow, the Epoch of Bean. I've just heard of it yesterday in my research of Ender's Game the movie. It definately seems like the Orson Scott Card fix I need after going through Ender's Game in three days.

    And yeah, when Ender's Game becomes a movie, I'd sell your soul for a ticket too. Just kidding of course, and you're totally right about it not having the same effect.

    Cube was good, but I never saw Cube 2 in it's entirety. I think I saw snippets of it on the Sci Fi Channel once though. Might have to check that out.

    Timmy, yeah now Three Ninjas is the coolest. But you weren't the one yelling 'light up the eyes' to you imaginary ninja brothers in playground skirmishes. Needless to say, I could have used the backup.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:17 PM

    Holy Pancakes, a double comment on the same day? Say it ain't so Robin. "T", I'm not so sure I did see hypercube, I can't remember.
    Are the Yip-Yips universally heebie-jeebie inducing? Our exhaustive survey(of 3 people) suggests so, why did they keep them on the show. Maybe keeping us scared of interplanetary visitors was part of the Sesame Street adjenda all along....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:11 PM

    If you choose to adopt "Scotty Quest", let me know. I think I look foreign enough to be your sidekick, no?

    -- Jake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josh - you totally DID see Cube 2, you MADE me watch it as well. Remember, its the one where time goes all screwy and they run into past versions of themselves and the one crazy guy has an alternate version of himself who's like been stuck in the cube for 30 years, living solely off the alternate versions of the other guy with a watch. Goes down in my book as WORST MOVIE... EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what, I DID see Cube 2. And at the end they kill the one girl who escapes it. I thought it was pretty funny to see that one guy continually killing the other. I mean, sure it was fun the first time but let it go man. You're running out of arm anyway.

    I will say that the movie was pretty messed up, but still enjoyable in the sense that there's plenty of opportunities to riff on it.

    Jake, yes you can be Hadji. Work on your turban tying and mental powers. While you're at it try to get an accent going. That always seemed to be an important part of the show.

    Josh and T, I'm currently about 100-ish pages into Ender's Shadow and let me tell you, this book owns. Good reccomendation. I can already tell that I'm not going to get anything done for the next couple of days. Alright, time to move onto a new post.

    - Scott

    P.S. Stevo, I too was always Raphael, probably why we never played TMNT together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Well, Scott, I'm actually posting something. I just can't pass up all this talk about the Cube movies because I am utterly amazed and a little disturbed that so many people have seen these terrible movies. Well, I'm assuming they're all pretty bad. I am only guilty of having seen Cube Zero. And the only thing I learned from seeing it is to never let the British kid pick out the movie because this is what you end up with. By the end, all I could think was, who the hell watches these movies (besides myself)? And you have all answered my question. I knew this blog was good for something.

    -Caroline, aka Carrie, Carrie Jayne, CJ, Hot Pants, or just Holmes

    p.s. I should clarify that just because it was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life does not mean that I didn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that movie. Three Ninjas. I had a such a crush on the oldest one, Rocky, back in the day... when I was... 20. I also have a huge crush on Harry Potter but that's beside the point. I would like to be known as Wendy the Vampire Slayer but my mom refuses to call me that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buckle your pants, these are real:

    since people call me StephBob

    StephBob-Round-Pants
    Bobbing-for-Apples

    ReplyDelete