Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The girl I knew from 1990...

Back from a nice, long, blurry week. It's not the alcohol per se, more the structure of my days. No, rather the distinct lack of structure. It was the normality and routine of going to school that used to (and in a few, all too short months will again) regulate my posting. It was just a part of my habit. Post, go to school, check for comments in classes, reply, rinse and repeat. Then I graduated, moved home. Posting got harder. But still possible. I had hockey. It reminded me that it was Monday, time for the Crush of the Week. The COTW comment checking led to other postings, and so on.

Now I've played my last game of the season, and I'm fresh out of routines. It's oddly liberating to live as if you're on vacation in your hometown. And now that my friends have rejoined me, it's even better. Or I should say, worthwhile at all. It turns out there are things to do, just none that seem fun alone. But I digress (is it digressing when it's the topic I started on? In any case I'm digressing now)... on to the point of today's post (bolded in case you're skimming and don't want to read my two paragraph rant):

Hannah Roberts. The name probably doesn't mean anything to you, but it's one of my memories from living in Chicago. Actually I remember the first and last names of several of the people I went to Preschool with. (Peter Pan Preschool in fact, I wonder if this is the occasion that my personal rantings would be better left for...) And some that I enjoyed kindergarten with as well.

I was feeling a bit nostalgic for my original house in Naperville two days ago, so I decided to Google map it. For whatever reason, I remember the address of every house I've ever lived in, every phone number I could ever have been reached at, and quite a bit of other crap. My memory isn't quite photographic... but I do alright. So, seeing first house, I decided to "walk" to the places I remembered. I found Ellsworth, and then it struck me that there's a way I could casually get in touch with those people again. And that way was Facebook.

So, I searched for the people I remembered, minus those who were complete tools in kindergarten/preschool, and to my great surprise I was actually right, first try. I asked them if they went to the schools at the times that I did, and all of them had. I did narrow it down a bit. For instance the Hannah Roberts I knew wasn't black. Cross her off the list. Nor was she four years younger than me, etc. And I did bias the results to favor those still in the Chicago area, but it worked.

If you're of a demographic where you can still use Facebook, I suggest you look up people like this. It's pretty fun. And how often do you get to say "So... what have you been up to for the last 16 years? Do you still have that kick-ass black and white backpack? **Do jou take off your face and hands before you go to bed? And if so, are you some kinda robot? And if so, what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for good, or for awesome? Would you like to join forces? I just happen to be the greatest criminal mind of our time.**"

- Scott

** Only actually sent once. Bonus points for her actually getting it.

2 comments:

  1. The Girl I knew from 2000...

    Her name is Kristin, and I don't think you've yet devoted to her the time and words that she rightfully deserves. You just throw her picture up there and expect that its enough? True that photo speaks volumes, but how about a little common decency.

    On a side note, Kristin Kreuk is NOT on myspace... All I can find are imposters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, that's breaking news? Pfft. Yeah, if you get your information solely from the Pony Express, "When it absolutely, positively has to be there... in three or four months or so."

    Rob, did you ever really "know" her? Because I think I'm a little closer to her than you are. I met the guy who saw her in a coffee shop and was begged by her not to blow her cover. That's practically making out with her. So... yeah you've got a ways to go.

    I'm going the route of the anti-crush this week, because I so badly squandered the timeframe in which I would have posted about a girl I actually like. Hate fizzles out faster than lust I find.

    Jacob, I know you didn't comment, but I'm replying to you anyway. The title of this post is from the Goldfinger single. Back in the days that you liked music. The ska/punk scene circa 1997. Remember? I can't believe you let this one slide by.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete