Thursday, May 04, 2006

Censored.

Those motherfucking c*#ts! Ok, let's do a little experiment. Say you're a college I've attended for a few years and graduation is comming up. You ask me to be the speaker. You give me no parameters for what to say or how to say it. When I ask I receive the stock answer "I'm sure whatever you come up with will be fine." Having asked me who you've known for a few years, you should know what to expect. Alright then. I'll do it.

A certain uniform pressure from everone expecting you to write something good causes the speech in question becomes a bitch to write. The desire to write something that lives up to the *ahem* high level of professionalism demonstrated daily at the Wonder Blog, along with a delightful speech by Stephen Colbert spuring you on, you put in a week's worth of thinking and writing. Mostly in panicked spurts. When you watch TV, you feel guilty. When you order a grappling hook off the internet, you think you should have spent that time working on your speech. Even simple pleasures like getting drunk in the afternoon seem somehow irresponsible in light of the work you're not doing.

So when you finally get the speech done they inform you, haughtily, that they want to approve your speech before you do it. ...Fine. You drive to the school, drop off a few copies, and then relax. It's done. Or so you think. About four hours later you get a call from a nay-saying hag from the school, one whose job has never been made clear to me. She seems to be a appendix, serving no beneficial purpose to the school, but having the ability to become inflamed and ruin everyone's fun. She is a joyless, gossip of a woman, who passive aggressively demands thinsg as she hides behind the mantle of corporate office speak. For instance, one of her criticisms was that she "knows I'm a very 'I' oriented person" but I "need to have some 'we' oriented thoughts in this speech. You were selected to represent your class." To which I considered replying: "Ok, I'll get wasted and show up half an hour late bitching about how much I hate this college. That would be as representative as I can possibly imagine."

So, the day before graduation two *deleted* ...let's say... women, are asking me to rewrite my entire speech. I have a plan. What I'm going to do is... On second thought, I shouldn't talk about it beforehand. I don't want to be shut down (again) before I have a mic in front of me. Too many people read this blog. But I'll tell you what the new speech can't include.

  • Any reference, sarcastic or otherwise, to "Galactic Lord Xenu"
  • No speculation on whether or not Tom Cruise has yet purchased an "anti-psychologist playpen" for his daughter.
  • Speech must not start with "what up?"
  • If possible remove any references to your being chosen as graduation speaker as a "serious error in judgement"
  • "Other personal ranting on Peter Pan primary school that would be better left for a separate occasion." (And just when the fuck might that be?)
  • No "shout outs" to "peeps" (even as a light hearted reference to why I had a hard time writing the speech)
  • No including the word "drunk"
  • No referencing what your future plans are. (Even if it is used as an example within the "be flexible" thesis of the speech).
  • No having any jokes of any kind. After all, as I was informed by the shrill purposeless harpy "I just want you to know that very important people from Chicago will be at this graduation, and you need to think about how you want to present yourself to them." (And I would care about this... why. They aren't important to me in the least. If you were banking on my reverance you're greatly overdrawn.)
Now they give me some parameters. Here's a paragraph of the kind of propagandic bullshit I'm supposed to (but have no intention to) write.

"Make them feel good about what they have learned at RMC--professionalism, real world skills, team work, and whatever--and confident that they can and will succeed and that it will be more important than ever that they give something back, be it to the college, their community, or society at large. "

In short. F that noise. If I even half believed any part of the above I'd have likely written it in the first place. Instead I wrote a brief bit of well wishery that wouldn't have been as boring or stereotypical as what they'd have me do now. As a result, I'm going to keep my comments breif. As in, 60 seconds of the most generic "we" based drivel I can come up with. Then sit back down. Thanks alot assholes.

- Scott

8 comments:

  1. Jake asked to see the speech in question. Mind you the ending was a bit longer, but it was the serious portion and as such, very boring. So here is my speech in its entirety:

    What up? I’m sorry. I was once told that greeting is unprofessional. It’s just so automatic for me… Let me try again. Ladies and Gentlemen, Faculty, Friends, fellow graduates, what is up? How are things? Good? I’m good too. Thanks. Happy Cinco de Mayo. I’ll try to keep this short so we can get out there, have a margarita, and see Mission Impossible Three. Tom Cruise needs our money; he’s got a newborn baby to care for. He might be rich, but he has to buy her an anti-psychologist crib and they don’t come cheap. You can’t even buy them at the Scientologist gift shop until you’re at O.T. 10 and have galactic Lord Xenu on speed dial. So he’s got some work to do. Let’s see if we can’t help him out.

    Anyway, when I was approached for the position of graduation speaker, I was honored. For like, five seconds, I was honored. Then I was a little overwhelmed. Then I was sleepy. Because it was 10:00 A.M. and based on my post-college schedule I really should have been sleeping. I thought, “You've obviously made a serious error, but let's just go with it and we can all get back to pretending we go to Hogwarts.” You know with the robes? No? Moving right along...

    Like some of you I’m having a hard time believing my academic career has come this far. Speaker at graduation? That's pretty good for a guy who went to Peter Pan Preschool. I kid you not, Peter Pan Preschool. Did my parents even look at any other preschools? Or was the name just too hilarious not to send me. Questions for another speech.

    And as some of you might be concluding, I had a hard time writing this one. Lately the bulk of my writing has been Facebook comments and blog postings. In fact the first draft of this speech featured several "shout outs" to my "peeps" who were just "so awesome this weekend", and included a projector and a funny video my friend sent me. A Japanese video entitled "Let's English!" is a sure hit at any graduation I'd think. Needless to say, it was gold. However, I and the administration decided a more serious tone was required for such an auspicious occasion.

    The section of the speech they saw fit to give me is the difficult "where do we go from here" bit. I thought and thought about it and came to a conclusion. I have no idea. Generally this section is covered by some older, graying at the temples, CEO-type whose autobiography was ghost written by his favorite author and has been featured on Oprah’s Book Club. That or a flash in the pan actor who happened to attend the particular college in question. As yet, I am neither of these archetypes.

    So, I don’t have any words of wisdom to bequeath. Except maybe these: Be flexible. If necessary, take yoga classes. They’re very trendy and you get to wear unitards. What I really mean is that unlike my compulsory matriculation (Side note: Now that we’re graduates we can drop words like matriculation and compulsory into casual conversations), anyway unlike that instance at Peter Pan Preschool, attending Robert Morris was a choice. One I think we’re all pretty happy with at this point. We were lucky to attend a school that not only prepared us, but afforded opportunities that we wouldn't have enjoyed elsewhere. I mean, they put me in charge of the newspaper. Seriously. Me. The guy who wrote the "Rant!" column every week. It was a bit surreal, but I went with it.

    And I’m glad I did; when I first attended Robert Morris College, I never expected that it might be a stepping stone to what at this point might loosely be called a journalism career. But in the fall I'll be attending the University of Illinois' Graduate Journalism program. I’ll have to work on my sense of self importance if I’m going to be a true journalist. But this is another example of being flexible, no? Sadly, people too often get locked into their own ideas of how life should progress that we forget to enjoy the journey. As a wise man once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." Ok, I admit that doesn't really have much to do with my 'be flexible' theme, but I promised myself that if I was ever asked to do a speech I'd make a point to quote Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.

    Whatever you do after Robert Morris College, keep in mind that it’s important to be open to things you’d never considered before. I enjoyed computers, but not nearly as much as journalism. Blah blah blah. Keep an open mind, the world is, blah blah blah.

    Call back to earlier joke.

    The end.

    And they got upset over that. It's not as if this is out of character for me. I've debated just not doing the speech at all. Leave them hanging, but that 60 seconds of trite, cliched bullshit is actually sounding pretty hilarious to me. Provided I use the appropriate tone.

    Let me know what you think. And do so quickly, I have to decide soon. In the meantime: booze. Why not? I don't feel guilty anymore.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:13 PM

    that speech= awesome...boo stupid administrative people with sticks up their butts. and in reference to the new speech, it isn't what you say, it is definitely HOW you say it. rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our graduation speaker told us to do drugs. You should have lived on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:53 PM

    I move to get myself bumped back into the top five for, you know, completely rewriting your speech for you.

    well, practically.

    almost.

    kinda.


    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. My advice? Use Tim's speech... don't even change the names and schools involved.

    Or use Dwight's speech from The Office (US).

    At least slip in one nerdy computer, RPG playing, suprised your classmates made it, D&D academia hat of +7 intelligence, reference. I mean, it IS a school of nerds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:29 PM

    I think I would have enjoyed that speech at my graduation. At my high school graduation the male and female class representative wore cheerleading uniforms with the tiny skirts and basically made fun of everything that was a part of our high school. RMC should really loosen up.
    BTW, I totally agree with you that if they wanted you to "Make them feel good.blah.blah. society at large. " they should have used the time you were attending to actually make that happen and inspire those thoughts.
    DOWN WITH CENSORS!!! (rebellion in the spirit of C. De M.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blows, Scotty. That's a pretty great freaking speech, if you ask me. I would have LOVED to hear that speech at my graduation. It's their loss.

    Man, they knew who they were asking to speak. What did they expect?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Timmy. I made the best of it though. I think I'll post on that today.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete