Thursday, May 25, 2006

The French loved me!

I'm not talking about Rob here either. I don't know how many of you have seen/read the Da Vinci Code, but I suggest you all go out and watch it. Not because I thought it was a great movie, but because it's the subject of today's post, and it'll just make it that much more interesting. I also suggest you get fitted with a catheter, because that's one loooooong movie*. But do see it, because I don't think you're reget it. Plus the Pope banned it, which makes it all the more desirable because it's now forbidden.

Anyway, much of the plot rests on these pyramids at the Louvre. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that, but they're featured prominently at the beginning and the end of the movie. Which made the movie even more enjoyable for me, as it strongly recalled memories of a time when I was solving a mystery in that very location. The mystery of: how-large-a-scene-I-can-make-without-actually-saying-anything. Turns out pretty large. And it involves those two underground pyramids that together form the fulcrum of the plot in the Da Vinci Code. Take a look (and click for the larger version of both).


Here's a small picture in case you don't know what it usually looks like. Can you guess what I did?



To the left of the shot: a tour group, in the center: myself, and in the right third: a horrified French boy**.

My expression is intentionally pained as at that moment I was calling to my friends for help. Yes I know that's saying something, but it was astonishing how fast I went from pretending to be stuck to actually being pinned between the two pyramids. It kind of hurt. By this time the crowd (sadly off camera), was getting a little too big and I was worried that I was going to draw the attention of some angry, uniformed, security personelle. So I forcibly removed my head from betwixt the two sharp points (not reccomended), and tried to blend. As I was 1.) just finished attracting attention to myself and 2.) dressed like the Jolly Green Giant's bastard son on vacation I failed extravagantly in my attempt.

In a way, I feel mine is the more important contribution to the lore surrounding the pyramids. I'm sure you can agree.

- Scott

* Odd that I could sit through all three Lord of the Rings movies and be completly rapt with attention pointing out when the movie cribs a line directly from the books, but three-ish hours of a mystery that's more or less solved in the first half hour (even if you didn't read it) makes me antsy.

** I knew he was French because I heard him speaking (in French), to an adult (mom?), about what a ridiculous sight he had just seen (presumably). Unless the kid is named Bean, it's his first language.

7 comments:

  1. I intended to leave a comment here...
    but there's a picture of Kristin right over there... and I... uh... yeah. Hotness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Are you *actually* wearing one of those goofy seatbelt-buckle belts?

    Are you? Because that's amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:56 PM

    you went to france? i am officially jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Scott, this has been my favorite blog for awhile. Sorry for the commenting drought. The picture is great! Not that I didn't like the GIANT picture of your thigh (because I did).
    Grade A(my) Woman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:28 AM

    ok, nice picture...blahblahblah...I don't have a comment for this post really. I am commenting on one of the previous crush 'o the week candidates.... unfortunately I saw havoc tonight, WHO gave Ella Enchanted permission to use the n word? and I think the greater offense here is that she was singing Tupac and Jay-Z/Lil' Kim songs like they were part of an opera score. ~you know who this is...who else would care to comment about this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch, Amy. Ouch. Have you forgotten who was your friend IN THE FIRST PLACE? Man, we suffered through Psychology of Trauma together. And now you betray me like this? Harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J Fi, been there, done that, earned the contempt. Actually, it should be noted that at no point was I an Ugly American. I could make the easy "I'm so damned good looking" joke here, and maybe I just did, but really I'm very open. However I'm not above funny pictures with monuments. If this is a character flaw, I embrace it whole heartedly.

    Grade A(my) Woman, you favorite? Really? I think someone is jonesin' for Top 5 placement. And ye shall have it. If you add me as a Facebook friend. You know my full name. And I'm (currently) listed under Robert Morris College.

    Eddi (or should I call you Erin? So confusing...), my guess on who gave Ella Enchanted the permission to use the n-word was the director. But it really could have been anyone, she's so obedient. As far as her operatic singing, it's a layer of her performance. She thinks she wants it, but she just doesn't get it.

    Timmy. You don't even address me?! The owner of this blog?! Are you shooting for Bottom 5-age? I think you are. Strike one mister.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete