Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sidebar Shenanigans!

Captain O'Hagan: I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, "Shenanigans."
Mac: Hey Farva, what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy stuff on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?
Farva: You mean Shenanigans?
Rabbit: Oooooooh.
[as they hand the captain their pistols]

I firmly believe that Super Troopers is my generation's Streetcar Named Desire. I feel that statement is so obvious I don't need to explain the, very solid, underlying logic. Suffice it to say, there is not an inappropriate situation to bust out a quote from the film. Like today, at the outset of my newest sidebar addition: The Crush o' the Week. Because I am constantly falling in and out of superficial love with one actress or another, and the attraction doesn't always warrant a full posting.

So here's the deal. I'll update it each Monday, at the same time as the Top Five/Bottom Five. And they'll each get their own micro-post, explaining why they deserve such high accolades. Like this:

Crush o' The Week Post

Name: Rachel McAdams
You Know Her From: Mean Girls, The Notebook, The Family Stone, Red Eye, and guest appearances in my daydreams.
Charm Bonus: She's Canadian. So she probably needs a green card. Want to become a citizen Rachel? I've got an idea involving a sham marriage, but a real honeymoon. Let me know.

You get the gist. The only down side is that by the very act of seeing actresses in films and harboring frivolous attractions, nothing can ever come of it... except a restraining order. Even if I became famous, and met them, it would create a block. If she's heard of the crush she's likely a bit leery. If not, there's still the guilt I have from knowing random bits of trivia about her. And I just know they'd come up in conversation at some point. "So, Rachel. I'd expect you to be a pretty good driver considering your father drives professionally." From there it would just get weirder. So, knowing full well that any girl in this section has essentially been taken out of the realm of wildest possibility, I introduce "My Crush o' the Week" section.

- Scott

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 PM

    Hey Scott, I love your new "Crush O' The Week" sidebar. In more than one way - I like the concept and I really like your pick.

    If I had my own blog, I would so steal your idea. Although, I would honestly have a hard time limiting it to one pick. But it can change each week!

    - Anonymous Rex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crush o' the Week AND two of your top five occupied by females? You MUST be in Jerseyville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, be wary of these "I'll do this every week traps." The audiences are brutal. They just take and take... Don't trap yourself in that box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous Rex, thanks. Glad you're a fan.

    Tim, well we can't all waltz into an improv gig. I'll have you know I'ma cooking up something... interesting.

    Rob: Fair point mate, however, at the moment I'm filled with ideas for girls. I have a list that's approximately 20 names long. And I haven't put any serious effort into it. Plus there's the random new starlets, and my "Circa" girls, which we'll get into later. The point is, between Atkins, plastic surgery, and natural beauty, there's no shortage of attractive, superficially charming girls for me to lust after.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:34 PM

    I agree w/ Anonymous Rex...I like the Crush O' The Week segment. Nice touch. And Rachel McAdams couldn't be a better start. She's fantastic. A+ answer Scotty. I'll stay tuned next week...

    ReplyDelete