Saturday, March 18, 2006

Remember, remember the fifth of November...

...Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
should ever be forgot.

That's a fun thing to murmur to yourself while you're standing in line at Chicago Style hotdogs. At least I thought so. Apparently it was kind of creepy to my fellow consumers of questionable comestibles . It's a poem refering to the failed attempt by Guy Fawkes to blow up the Parliment. It's also one of the fun quotes V, the titular (heh heh heh) character from V for Vendetta, bestows upon the audience. He rattles off a bunch of others, including a fantastic two minute aliteration using only the letter v shortly after his introduction.

Overall, I'd reccomend everyone see this movie at some point. If you're the type to wait for DVD, fine. But you are denying yourself something by missing it on the big screen in a room filled with people feeling the same chills you are as a result of the score, the drama, and the action. Not to mention the badass factor. My Heiger Counter (A combination of a Hardcore Meter and a Geiger Counter set for Awesomium particles) actually exploded in a shower of computer generated sparks upon measuring this movie. It's that good.

I read J Fi's review of the movie and I agree; Natalie Portman did a fantastic job. Perhaps her best since Leon/The Professional. But I was particularly blown away by Hugo Weaving (aka Agent Smith/Elrond, son of Earendil) and the level of acting he managed to get out of that Guy Fawkes mask. A tilt of the head, a strategic revelation of the molded plastic eyebrows, the variation in lighting, however they managed it (and I pray not via subtly different masks) somebody deserves some recognition*.

I liked it so much I actually bought two posters from this movie. Go. Now. See it.

| |
On the left, the first one I bought. On the right, the one I caved and decided I couldn't live without. Ah, Natalie Portman. How I love thee.

- Scott

9 comments:

  1. * I would be the tackiest/most selectively philanthropic rich person of all time. When I see a movie like this, and it's exceptionally good, I think "I want to give an obscene amount of money to someone for this." I get the same feeling when I read a website I really like, enjoy a nice podcast, or see a homeless person with a funny sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh also, if anyone knows where to get a Guy Fawkes mask, please tell me ASAP. Not that I need it... yet.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do really like the design theme they used for the posters and other promotional materials. Very 1984-esque.

    Also, way to salt your own post with two comments. Classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a comment is easier than going into my Blogger dashboard and editing the post itself, then republishing the index of my blog. Bleh. But since I've now added a third comment to my own post I thought I'd add a bit o' substance to it as well. Here's that aliteration I was so in love with, especially considering that within the context of the character he made it up on the spot.

    "Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

    I am so memorizing that.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think there were even that many words that started with the letter V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:42 AM

    thanks scott! totally was looking for a copy of said speech and here it is, tucked away in your comments. and as for the mask, i agree with the subtle variations he was able to achieve with a completely not changing mask. that is some serious skill. and no worries, you know they will eventually have masks to buy; if not some of the props from the film, then someone will make them as some sort of statment against the government (which many seem to feel parallels our present state of affairs) to this i say, not the whole country, but ORU.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:36 AM

    I am enthralled by the v alliteration, especially since verisimilitude is one of my most beloved words in the english language. I become overjoyed when I see it.
    Besides, evil alliteration is also very hot, even from a psycho, I wasn't even planning on going to see that movie, but now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Eddi, so attracted to the "evil" guys...

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:36 AM

    have you ever read the graphic novel? It's top-rate. A coworker lent it to me maybe a year ago. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete