Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Dark of the Matinee

I love movies. Alot. Good ones, really bad ones, some of the in-between. Recently I've had the chance to see a few movies that I really enjoyed. The first of which was Failure to Launch not because it was a great romantic comedy, in that regard I think it will be quickly forgotten. Like Along Came Polly; did anyone buy that one on DVD? I thought not. No, I liked Failure because of its parallel to my life and one supporting actress.

As I currently live at home in my post-grad slacking phase, much to the chagrin of my parents, Failure to Launch was particularly funny to me. Almost as funny as my parents ever more desperate campaign to make living at home uncomfortable. It started with some blunt suggestions: "Why don't you just move to Champaign now?" or "Do you have to live here?" To be honest I find it pretty entertaining. So that was nice, but minor compared to the real reason I liked the movie.


Even in black and white, she just gets hotter.

Zooey Deschannel. I had no idea she was even in this movie. Finding her here was like seeing an old flame at a concert, locking eyes across the crowd and reminicing about making sweet love on a golden Sunday afternoon. Or something less dramatic. But it was damn nice. Especially considering how I feverently dislike Sarah Jessica Parker but she seems to be constantly surrounded the actresses I like most. Like in The Family Stone when she had Rachel McAdams and Claire Danes backing her. And when she hugged Zooey and actually touched her with those old man hands... I need to stop this harpy from appearing in movies I want to see solely for their supporting actresses. Because really it has to stop. Suggestions?

- Scott

P.S. I also liked V for Vendetta, but that's the post above.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Ok, so I made a mistake last night. I actually went by a theater last night thinking I was going to go see "Failure to Launch". Once at the theater, I changed my mind and did not go in. I now regret that decision. I did not know that Zooey Deschannel was in the movie. Had I known that fact, I would not have passed up the movie. I was mezmerized by Zooey in "Elf" and really want to see more movies with her.

    Also, I agree, Rachel McAdams and Claire Danes were the best reasons to watch "The Familyt Stone".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Hey Scott! Was just thinking about you and decided to check your blog. I didn't realized you were at home!! My husband and I laughed and laughed at your 2 recent postings! Take it easy, and stay away from down power lines you super-hero!! Senora W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have a former teacher not only reading but commenting on your blog. How does that make you feel, Scotty? Fortunately, I doubt very highly this will make you feel like you have to censor yourself from now on.

    On the Zooey issue - agreed. I just picked up "Hitchhiker's" yesterday and she's pretty wide-eyed and adorable. For a long time, her strange sounding name would cause me to confuse her and Chloe Sevigny. That, my friend, is not a mistake I'll be making again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, you totally missed out.

    Senora, welcome to the blog. And thanks for the comment. These weren't the best two posts I've ever done, and if I'd known you were visiting today I'd have straightened up the place. But I'm glad you enjoyed them and even gladder you gifted me with a comment. Thanks for reading.

    Tim, not only former teachers, I've had current teachers reading my blog. At least they were current at the time, now they too are former. I only give the address to those with the finest taste, so I never worry about censoring myself. I'll leave that to the police state I'm expecting America to become in the next five years.

    In other news, I see you've been reading Overheard in New York. What with the seemingly random Chloe Sevigny bashing. Either that or you both have had enough of her at the exact same time.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete