Monday, November 07, 2005

Hey moron, you can't even read this.

I was recently at the airport getting ready to board a flight. It was a Southwest flight so the usual cattle feeling of flying a commercial jet was amplified 100 fold. They accomplished this through a series of branding, prodding, and forcing us into three gated lines funneling into the same terminal. One girl was standing next to me and looked up to see she was in the B-line instead of the C, where she was supposed to be. She hurried away saying "I'm dyslexic", while I called after her "I think illiterate would be more appropriate!"

This brings me to my topic: Adult illiteracy. A terrible, sad thing. Even their commercials are sad, with children reading simple things to their parents. But there exists one commercial that isn't sad. One that is, in fact, hilarious. This commercial plays on the radio and I hear it every time I tune in to 89.9 WLCA, College Radio's Best. Here is the paraphrasing of this commercial from memory:

Illiterate Woman: Today I read a birthday card. It was funny and sweet like all birthday cards I guess, but this one was special, it said "I love you" and though I had received it many years ago today I read it for the very first time.
Smug Announcer: If you are an adult who has reading difficulty, you are not alone. Go to www.get-an-idea.com and sign up for our adult reading class.

First of all, no one reads birthday cards. You open them, see if money falls out then put them on the mantle. If the person happens to be watching you, then you put on the reading it and laughing ritously over the contrived, painfully obvious punchline inside act, then thank them. What a fantastic new world she's opened for herself. Secondly, the website? THEY CAN'T READ! How the hell are they supposed to get anything out of your site? Is it all in audio? Because if they can't read I doubt they're pulling down the money for a broadband connection. Also, how are they supposed to spell the URL? Speaking of which "get-an-idea"? Haven't they been through enough, do you really have to rub it in? Why not "public-school-educated-trash.net"? Geez.

And they put it on the radio, so you're sure to understand it. It's not like they could afford a TV spot, or it would have much impact in the paper. Because writing jokes about illiterate people is like shouting offending statements at the deaf. Who, incidentally, can read this. To them I say this: I'm so sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.

Your thoughts?

- Scott

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I put that in the same catagory as the Hooked on Phonics Billboards off the interstate. And speaking of "People who are hearing impaired" (you're welcome Rowela)... my neighbor is deaf. Once I get all settled in I'm going to introduce myself and invite him over for a movie or something. Oh yeah, he's my age... For some reason when I always think of people with disablities as older than me. Oh yeah, and Scott's not allowed to come over and meet him... ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:34 PM

    www.get-an-idea.com is a yellow pages site. what is this? some sort of cruel joke? It's really not kind of you to lie to people- hearing impaired or otherwise.


    -Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, I should clairify, it is kind of me to lie to people... when it's funny/serves my purposes. Mostly when it's funny. Because my purposes are ultimately comedy driven, whatever the medium. And who needs comedy more than people? Animals? I think not.

    But I should further clairify, it may have been a bit longer than I thought on when last I heard this advertisement. But the site was "double-u double-u double-u dot get an idea dot com" as said by the clunky awkward with "double-u"'s announcer, there's no lying in this post baby. Scout's honor.

    Rob, I think that's because we picture people who can't do things as well as we can as adults. That's why disabled people are always imagined as older than us. I do the same thing. Although I also make the consideration of very young like kindergarten. Wherever they go in the intervening time, I just don't see them.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ro, I do read birthday cards. But 90% of the time they're painful. It's the thought that counts, and I picked up on the fact that they thought of me when they handed me the card. I do read them, but that is incidental.

    - Scott

    P.S. I wanted to say "yes, but that is incidental" just because it reminded me of Hannibal Lecter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts, 2 Hotty? Well, I was educated at a public school. (Of course you don't want to hear that because it debunks your theory about "those" idiots. And yes, I'm attractive, so that might debunk your follow-up theory about women who flaunt their intelligence...) Now, this one might put it out of the park - I grew up overseas going to German-speaking public schools. You probably quickly and apologetically exonerate me from all "public-school-trash-we-call-society" on that note, but if you're honest, you'd only be trying to placate the hot, smart girl who might as well be Rory with green eyes. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete