Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Scott Gresham, Man, Myth, Eagle Scholar

Being an Eagle Scholar. Not one of the 3 things in life I take seriously, and so not that important to me. At least not to the point where I actually try or worry too much about it. I just coast on natural skill. Which as you are already correctly guessing leads to hilarity.


I wanted to post just excerpts of this, but sadly it's too hilarious to butcher. So here in it's entirety is my 1st essay (which I had to turn into the advisory department) on how I entered into the Eagle Scholar position. All true and un-edited.



How I Secured an Interview


As the esteemed and celebrated literary character, Harry Potter once said “I don’t go looking for trouble…trouble finds me.” In a sense, that is what has happened here. Although instead of trouble finding me, it is a scholarship opportunity. I suppose a less cryptic method of saying the same thing would be to explain that Rhonda Boeker asked me to participate. I initially had little to no interest in becoming an “Eagle Scholar.” But as Rhonda persisted in beseeching me (practically begging) to supply my own personal brand of wisdom to the project, and as she explained the duties I would be partaking in I decided that it might be worth my time. Another factor in my decision to participate was the fact that I enjoy helping and mentoring people. However a small, but noteworthy dynamic within my decision, was the fact that I found out that I would be the only male in my class, and adding my gender’s unique perspective was very important to me.


I did run into a bit of a problem when, in the end, I did decide to become a part of the Eagle Scholar (ES) program. The predicament was that I had only 2 days to complete my application before it would be ridiculously late. An application and a paper wouldn’t have been much in the way of stumbling blocks, but the third and final aspect of the application was a set of two letters of recommendation. Asking people to write a letter of recommendation with only 1 day’s notice is not generally the best method of securing good comments. Thankfully, my letter writers (Mr.’s Frye and Ross) were as adamant about my skills as ever and their letters, despite a certain hastiness, reflected this.


Next, I filled out the necessary paperwork. This step was somewhat tedious, but nothing could deter my steadfast focus. After the red tape was cut it was off to the part of the application that I would not give me any trouble: the essay. In an inspired one page essay, I detailed the myriad reasons I would want to become and would make a good ES. The composition, fine points of which will not be rehashed in this paper, was clearly enjoyed by those whom it concerned as I shortly afterwards received word that I was to attend an interview.


Subsequent to getting word that I was selected for an interview, and negotiating a suitable time for an appointment, I prepared myself for the meeting. By “prepared” I mean that I ate, slept, and dressed appropriately. When I arrived for my interview I was in a relaxed state of mind and prepared for anything that I might be asked. There really is not much to tell. I simply answered each question as best I could and it seemed that my answers were well received.


Finally, in the vein of what I would hope to get out of the ES experience, I expect to learn to be a better leader, and also a better listener in general. I want to be able to more "effectively communicate" with people to help them with their problems. Not only do I expect to gain from the ES program, but I also anticipate those in my charge to become better for having interacted with me. Through the students encounters with me I expect that they will have an easier time at RMC and gain an ally to turn to for assistance. Even if I, myself, can not directly solve their problems, I can at the very least point them in the right direction...and sometimes the door.



That was what I turned in. Balls to the wall, caution to the wind, queen to f3. I didn't really care what happened with it. But I was still unprepared for what did happen. I looked as surprised as I would be seeing a black guy at the Republican National Convention, but they loved it. In fact the lady who read it passed it around the office. Apparently they just couldn't resist my callous rediculousness. What can you do? Nothing! That's right. Gold star for those who said nothing. That's all for now -Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment