Monday, September 19, 2005

What's in a name?

An even number of vowel's and consonants? Four letters? A topic cliched by Shakespeare and nameless writers before and after him? No, what's in a name is ammo. Ammo for people to make fun of you in grade school. Like if your name is Duncan, you can fully expect me to call you Duncan Donuts in clever and cutting ways until you cry. And that was in kindergarten, just imagine the horrors he went through when the Highlander TV series took off. Looking back, I'm still not sorry; you shouldn't have taken my girl brah.

The reason I bring it up, as you've all had the good luck to avoid discussing thus far, is because Britney finally squeezed out her little hellspawn and gave the demon-seed a name. That name: Preston. The last time I heard that name was the in-class reading of a narrative in which I constructed the most twisted, demented person you could imagine... and named him Preston. The time before the last time I heard the name was in reference to Preston Kirby, and those of you who recogonize it can attest to it's... unique effect. For those of you who don't, think of the worst kind of hoodlum. Now you're with us.

So I have this to say to Britney: you're well on your way to being poor white trash (again), and you're the kid's responsible parent. Then you go and name it Preston. Congratulations, now he just has to wait until your sex tape comes out round about 5th grade and his life will be effectively ruined.

This I have to say to all parents: whatever you were going to name your child (especially daughters, they end up with the dumbest names imaginable) don't. I know you want to give the kid some name that's different, or new, or based on some pop icon (do we seriously need people named Shakira running around?) just don't do it. Oh and to you hyper-conservative parents, whatever you were going to name your kid, also don't. If I meet another Emily, Lauren (or Lauren based name), or Sara(h) I'm going to freak the hell out. These names are fine, but they've had their run. Let them go.

As long as we're on the topic of girl names, whatever you name the kid DO NOT give her the middle name Ann. And if you're feeling really creative, also don't give her the middle name Ann spelled with an 'e' i.e. Anne. It's not a name at all, it's a boolean operator mispronounced. If you say "Umm" when the nurse asks for your daughter's middle name, Ann is the name they write down. Nicole is what they write down if they've already had 10 Ann's that day. So the point is, before you name a kid check with me. Please? Run your children's names past me at will below.

- Scott

P.S. Today is international talk like a pirate day. Avast!

10 comments:

  1. Yes! Talk like a pirate day!
    Thanks for a reason for me to actually get out of bed after typing this!

    Julianne? How's that one? And actually I don't care what you say about it, because it would take me either not having a girl or my future husband puking in response to the name for it not to be used.

    Oh and even though most Laurens I meet seem to be evil, I still like the name. Plus, Lo is a super awesome nickname.

    Boo on early classes...

    Arrrrgh!
    Have a great Monday, Matey!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God, I loved Highlander. And the TV show. Especially that little monkey who was human but then he died and it turned out that he was an immortal too and they were still friends even though they knew THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE! And then Connor and Duncan were in that last movie together and that was cool. Highlander. Yes. Arr. Avast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yarr...the things ye be thinking about when yer alone be raising the hair on me arms. Methinks I should brave the rough waters of Chatham Road and come play some Burnout 3 so ye don't go insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:37 PM

    I probably shouldn't introduce you to my cousins Shaneque, Te'Shaude, Cario, ChaVanity, Marlycia, my sister Tonisha or my nephew Cireeco, that's right Cireeco. By the same token, your dislike of the "classics" would leave you in dismay over my cousin Sylvia, don't worry we call her Kaela (pronounced Ky-ee-luh)hahaha.
    How's this for fun, one of my cousin's name is (legally on his birth cirtificate) Sir Gregory and there are a few who have Prince and Princess before their names(they aren't as closely related), screw the queen, we decide who's important.
    I'm almost done, but before I type in my word verification (perhaps I'll name my child after that one day...Q-fork...my little hoodlum) I think you'll appreciate this name. I swear I am not kidding, a (very ignorant) woman in the Pekin/Peoria area, decided to name her daughter...are you ready...Chlamydia. No lie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it funny that a "Scott" would go off on a rant about people having too typical of names. Not only that, but Scott's not even your real name... just the one you chose to go by. I mean, if you were going to change your name from Harry, you should at least pick something cooler. Like Tycho, Xavier, or Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:59 PM

    Hey Harry S. This talk of names reminds me of an email my sister sent me when I was going through a little dilemma of what to name my fish.
    The brilliant comedian/magician/TV host Penn Jillette and his wife, Emily, have welcomed a daughter to the world.

    Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette.

    "We chose her middle name because when she's pulled over for speeding she can say, 'But officer, we're on the same side,' said Jillette. " 'My middle name is CrimeFighter.' "

    Right, and that'll make up for the years of mocking from her classmates

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try not to take offense to your comment about the name Sarah (even though I agree there are a lot of us). There is someone who works at my company whose name is Denim. I would be interested to see what kind of jokes you could come up with to belittle this person because obviously he's asking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take no offense Sarah. It is a fine name for one who already has it. I'm just vaguely sick of people either naming people complete standards I support some interesting new names (this from someone named Scott, pretty standard but look what I've done with it).

    However, though I support some new blood on the naming scene, I also think that you can make things overly hard for people. Erin, of those names Cario is actually pretty decent. It's a more exotic version of the name Paris. But the overall point of this post is that no matter what you name your kid someone is going to make fun of it. Bear that in mind.

    - Scott

    P.S. Denim. Is it a guy? In that case "Hey Denim, didn't I see you at the gay club getting broken in?" Is it a girl? In that case "Just like all denim, her holes just keep getting bigger and bigger". I'll keep the really vulgar ones to mysel until this 'Denim' really deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Thank you!
    [url=http://ucuwzfrr.com/mxbb/hzbj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://apgsjajz.com/nacn/dpgs.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Well done!
    http://ucuwzfrr.com/mxbb/hzbj.html | http://jvwivjoz.com/qktd/mshr.html

    ReplyDelete