Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ramblings, just ramblings

Ok, a few things on my mind today: First off, why is it that so many new bands are shooting for names that get me really excited when I misinterpret them? The bastards trick me into comming to their show, and when I find out what's really going on I'm always dissapointed, but too proud to admit I was tricked and leave. Confused? Let me explain, I recently attended the Jerseyville Music Festival (which consists of a flat bed trailer for a stage, a beer tent, and an empty parking lot as a venue). In the adverts they talked about the bands and the food, nestled safely near the bottom was "Free Corndogs". They had me at "free corn-", I was so going to this thing. So when I get there I have the fantastic discovery of Free Corndogs being a band. A shitty band. Fantastic.

I haven't been this dissapointed since 10,000 Maniacs turned out to be 5 rapidly aging mod rockers. How cool would it have been for a whole town of maniacs to become one band? I mean, by default they would have been a ska band (any band that outsizes its audience is most likely a ska band), but still awesome. I'd hate for anyone else to fall victim to this kind of n'er do welling, so I'll warn you ahead of time: Bloc Party is not a place to go and watch your teachers get drunk.

In other news, Rob and I went and laid out like the succlent pieces of grade A men we are at the pool today. Actually I should say Rob laid out, I swam, then laid out. It's pretty lame, but he gets severely cold. I'm pretty sure he's cold blooded. And I'm also pretty sure that he's some got some kind of huge secret, because as he laid on his stomach staring at the ground one ant carried another on its back, stopped right in front of his gi-normous face, dropped the carried ant, and ran away. I decided it was an ant virgin sacrifice and further, that Rob is the God of Carpenter Ants. Two more things before I go:


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"10,000 Maniacs and One Stoned Raph". Now that's a band.
In fact, One Stoned Raph on it's own is a wicked awesome band name. Wow, I'm really creative without really trying. Double wow, this is the longest caption of all time.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's Blogger Man! TM with the power to entertain the masses through describing seemingly normal activities seen through the eyes of a madman! He also has a pretty awesome pirate face.

- Scott



3 comments:

  1. Sweet shirt. I'm jealous. I should get me one...
    Here's a band name: Stanford Prison Experiment. I bought the CD, because it was relatively cheap and we had just studied the experiment in psychology and I was very interested. The music didn't really reflect what I thought the name should have represented it. I still hear it now and again when my 51 CD changer is on random.

    others:
    -Veruca Salt
    -Afghan Whigs
    -Butthole surfers (boy was I disappointed when I found out that even if I listened to the songs, I wouldn't be able to join in the activity)
    -Jimmy doesn't ever actually Eat the World. I think he discovered his mouth was far too small for it.
    -Deaf Pedestrians
    -The Dismemberment Plan
    -Dynamite Boy
    -And contrary to popular belief, Yellowcard does not sing about soccer games.
    -Barenaked Ladies changed their name to that for the sole purpose of trying to get more people to their show. That is a fact. And apparently it worked.

    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coors, not only did you comment, you MESA-commented. And you were the sole commentor on this post. For these noble efforts I now make you every entry on the top five list. Congratulations, and well played.


    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably the most exciting moment of my summer. Wow, my summer sucks...

    For that, I'll add a few more:
    -Weezer needs to get an inhaler
    -Velvet Revolver is the most useless weapon ever
    -Toad the Wet Sprocket and also Lucky Boys Confusion don't even make sense

    Anyway, thanks Scott!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete