Monday, February 21, 2005

Get your broom; I'm calling shenanigan.

This might be one of the more callous posts I've had (so far...) but I have a serious (as serious as you've ever known me to be) question. What's the deal with the Tsunami Aid commercials I see to this day. The tsunami hit December, 26 2004. That's nearly two months ago by most calendars. And STILL the charitable money grubbing goes on. Apparently the aid figures are close to $2 Billion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping the needy. Especially when the needy is me and the aid is some action... But honestly, how much does it cost to rebuild some mud shanties? Come on, the dirt's already wet. I mean, if we can manufacture soccer balls there for 1/2 cents an hour. I think we can rebuild the area for a bit cheaper. What are they doing building back the natural appeal of the area? Last I checked it not only was free, but occasionally destroyed everything on the coast. Sure you lost some trees, but have Jafar Palm-tree-seed with his falafel pan on his head skip along the beach and replant them. He's both folksy and free.

And I know, I know, there's been some lives lost. But there's not even burial fees. They were more or less burried at sea...except now the sea delivers. It more or less begs for a tip, but if you play dumb it'll kind of slink back out to sea after muddying-up the place. So it's not like there's a huge sum going to grave digging. I suppose the living have some medical bills to pay, but if didn't get killed outright by the tsunami you have some pretty weak injuries. Seriously, a supermodel managed to hang on to a tree. A supermodel not only outsmarted this wave, but had the strength to hold on to tree to save herself. She was in India because it's the only place in the world she might see someone that would make her look fat and she managed to hold on to a tree. You have to understand, the grip of a supermodel (largely because of the joint forces of their diet and their heroin addictions) is somewhere between the stregnth of a newborn and that of a nerf sucction cup. So really, if you let a wave sneak up and injure you, you really ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Costs aside, I don't think $2 Billion dollars is really justified. Because really, have 2 billion anything even come out of that area? And no, taxi cab drivers are not considered. So I really have to ask, what the hell are we spending the cash on?

6 comments:

  1. Also: Only one shenanigan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to echo...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow indeed. I can't believe he wrote that. I mean, hilarious, but...

    Oh wait I wrote that. Hmm, why did I do it? What could have pushed me to this extreme that people comment in wordless stupor?

    Oh wait, they commented?


    Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll overlook shanghai-ing my blog for your own posting purposes to laugh at your story of personal injury. First of all it's amazing it didn't cross your heart (yeah like the bra)and kill you (unlike the bra in most cases). A story they tell Navy Electricans involves a guy with a 9-volt battery who killed himself by letting the current go from one arm to another, crossing his heart and killing him in the process.

    Secondly, I like that it shocked you not only once, but twice. Painful and funny. How can a story with that wicked combo fail? It just can't my friend, why else do people watch the Anna Nicole show? The People rest.


    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness. What a silly new picture you've posted.

    ReplyDelete