Friday, October 20, 2006

Overheard in New York

I have always loved Overheard. It's the kind of project I wish I had started. Unfortunately Overheard in Jerseyville would be a mix of hog feed prices, subtle racism, and discussion about the economy of the community being bolstered by meth production. Which actually sounds like a decent topic the way I just presented...

But that's neither here nor there. What I've always liked best about Overheard in New York is not the quotes, funny though they may be. No, it's the descriptions of the people talking. You see alot of "Jewess" or "Thug Teen" but occasionally they get more elaborate. And I love it.

So in the spirit of Overheard in New York (and considering the awesomely good news at the bottom of this post which you should definitely read), I humbly present quotes from some of my favorite blogs that are Overhear-able, along with the title Overheard title of the person in question (based solely on the quote in question).
--------------------------------------

Impossibly pretentious indie music-snob:There are shades of Queen all over the album and I think you're crazy for not hearing it.

Impossibly pretentious indie music-snob: For heaven's sake, the title track is essentially "Killer Queen" with a pared-down "Bohemian" structure, only if Freddie Mercury were from Arizona.
--------------------------------------

Ranting sage... who might be on to something: What if the government grew weed, and paid hippies in weed to do various tasks. Its like a self replicating currency... and Hippies will do ANYTHING for weed. No more hazzard pay for those jobs no one wants: Hippies will do it. You want a housekeeper? Contract one from a government Hippie-Aid company, you pay the government a quarter what you normally would pay someone, and that will translate into top quality pot for the Hippy. Its a sure thing... almost as good as monkey butlers.
---------------------------------------

Dichotomous Emo Kid: After a lot of drinking and sobbing incoherently about nothing in particular, I've decided that life is too short for hang-ups. From now on, I'm going to care even less about what you fuckers think about me. I'm that independent. Granted, I'll still care about what you think in general. But goddamn it, I've grown too soft, worrying about if I'm held in high regard by certain people. No more! You're all swine, figuratively! But I still love you!
---------------------------------------

Animal lover: I woke up this morning to one whiny puppy and one grouchy husband. The two are not mutually exclusive as many a woman wishes.
---------------------------------------

But why post this now Scott?: The reason I do this is simple: I've finally acheived a small measure of immortality with a quote on the actual OHNY blog. Check it out here.

Interestingly, avid readers of the Wonder Blog might surmise who the two attractive nerds in question actually are. But I leave the comments open to speculation.

- Scott

8 comments:

  1. I decided I'd cross post it here, in case the link to Overheard goes dead at some point.

    Conversation on the Six-of-the-Best Train

    Disproportionately hot nerd girl: You know, I was scarred by a guy once. It was on a fur rug. With a knife.
    Attractive nerd guy: Wow. Real fur?
    Disproportionately hot nerd girl: Real knife too. Very 'Kushiel's Dart' sort of moment.
    Attractive nerd guy: He must have thought you were pretty special, I mean, what do you have to do to get blood out of fur? I'm guessing it's dryclean only.
    Disproportionately hot nerd girl: Anyway that was my first, and only, foray into S&M. After that I stuck to D&D.

    -- 6 Train

    Overheard by: Scott Gresham

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:49 AM

    I am in Provence France and yet somehow I knew...

    Awesome. Freaking awesome.

    -Disproportionately hot nerd girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. How dare you, sir. I am insulted. My pretentiousness is entirely possible.

    -"Impossibly" pretentious indie music-snob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sidebar: You weren't really in New York, were you?

    Subquestion: If you were, what in God's name were you doing there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conversely, I think you were too kind in your naming of myself. "Psychotic" would have been perhaps more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ranting Sage?
    I'm down with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott, a fine comment as usual. You sir, are an international treasure.

    DHNG, you knew? Is it our increasingly spooky synchronicity, or did you get my text message?

    Timmy, you're right. I spoke unjustly. I should have said "nigh-impossibly."

    Timmy Otra Vez, no I wasn't. Although the conversation took place near New York. At least one end of it.

    Jakey, I defy you to present a vaild reasoning for that assertion. I think you might have meant "wildly good-looking" but that's just too wordy. Incidentally, I originally wrote "Moderately Attractive" but they saw my picture and edited the text accordingly.

    Rob, yes. And your next WoW character should bear that moniker.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:30 PM

    I'm afraid my cell phone is utterly out of commission. Much like my inner ear, and my sense of personal well-being. I'm laying the cause at our outrageously sexy synchronicity.

    I'm also willing to bet that when you were typing synchronicity, you questioned the spelling of it. Tell me I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete