Friday, October 13, 2006

Five Easy Postings

It's that time of the week when I've got some 'splaining to do. The new Top 5/Bottom 5 is up, not to mention a new Crush o' the Week, so I'd better get to it.

Top Five:

  1. If you're within 500 miles of Basil Thai, I command you to go there and have the Peanut Sauce Lover entree. It's fantastic and so damned filling I had it for lunch and skipped dinner.
  2. I don't know if you get down like this... but combining South Park and World of Warcraft is the best idea since antiseptics (thank you Donnie Darko). You can watch the full episode here. I don't know why, but on some level it bothers me that there are a huge number of people who would be confused by this episode. Or who don't know what an MMORPG is. Or who don't realize that there are people exactly like this, and that I've fought with them on the planes of Karana.
  3. I wish I were making this up. I doubly wish that it wasn't a Fox News article. But apparently the Muslim world has created knock-off versions of western products like Coca-Cola (Mecca-Cola), Burger King (Beurger-King), and Fulla (Burkha Barbie). They're wonderful parodies, a shame they're real.
  4. That's right people. A Dark Crystal sequel. I know, it might be a bastardization, but I'm going to see it regardless, so I might as well be excited.
  5. As lothe as I am to use the term steam-punk, it definitely applies and this laptop looks so good I don't really mind. As a bonus it's actually a functioning laptop.
Bottom Five:
  1. The title pretty much sums it up.
  2. Once again, the title says it all. But I will say that this is yet another tiny incremental step toward a frightening future. But if things really do get that bad, I'll at least be able to be a "people's champion" style bandit. So I'll have that consolation.
  3. This should have been on the Top Five, but it represents a negative concept (and I filled out the Top Five pretty quickly this week) so it's on the bottom. But watch it. It's hilarious.
  4. This man is banning Fahrenheit 451. Worse, I'm sure the irony is absolutely lost on him as he's never read it.
  5. Bush might be the most strategicly stupid human being in the world. His allegedly unintentional inability to speak gives him two advantages. One: it gives his spin people time to work and the opportunity to say "Oh the president misspoke, what he meant was..." And two: he never has to commit to anything. He has the built-in excuse of being flustered or vague. His position is always revisible. Another bonus: he can pretend to be a man of the people, not some intellectual like the Dem's.
And that's the Top/Bottom Five.

- Scott

4 comments:

  1. On that Fulla doll -- I am pretty sure the head pops off.

    Also, that bathroom - unless there's a lock on the door, it ain't getting used by me. Not to be a blog whore, but....this is an old post of mine you might get a kick out of.

    http://15minutelunch.blogspot.com/2005/01/public-service-announcement.html

    PS - Yeah, that Ed Speelers guy gets around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, yeah. Somehow I thought this post and you last one were part of the same post. So in your mind, just take half of this comment and move it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely my favorite quote of the week:

    "If they can't find a book that uses clean words, they shouldn't have a book at all." - Diana Berm/Verm.

    Thank you, Ms. Berm/Verm. You are absolutely correct. THEY shouldn't have a book, at all. They can't be trusted with one. All those words, meaning things...it's a sin.

    Incidentally, they spelled her name as Diana Berm under her photo. Having taken Geology, I naturally knew what they meant. (naturally. a ha. a ha ha ha). And looking at her photograph, I can't say that their 'typo' was off.

    (Berm: a bank of earth placed against an exterior wall or walls of a house or other building as protection against extremes of temperature)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also this: "Alton Verm's request to ban "Fahrenheit 451" came during the 25th annual Banned Books Week. He and Hines said the request to ban "Fahrenheit 451," a book about book burning, during Banned Books Weeks is a coincidence."

    *laughing. hysterically.*

    ReplyDelete