Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Higher Education Poster Child

I've always thought myself a pretty photogenic, influential, and all around wonderful person. Unfortunately this opinion hasn't always been shared by others. Like the time I thought it would be great fun to wear the chained medal they give to the valedictorian and walk around spouting such witicisms as "I pity the fool who's not valedictorian." Or "Drink your vegetables, stay in milk, and don't do school." I have a surprisingly good Mr T. impersonation. It was all well and good until I ran into the valedictorian himself, who found it less amusing than I did. Especially when the damn thing couldn't be put back in its case despite our combined efforts. I guess he wasn't so smart after all. Where's that perfect GPA now hot stuff?

In any case, I'm a pretty great guy. I could never understand why no one made me the head of a multinational corporation. Or at least put me on TV. (Wait, actually that already happened.) But what I've never been is the face of an organization. Sure I ran the "Dangerous Adventures, No Girls" club out of my treehouse, but the group got very little media exposure. Despite our limited influence, I learned from the experience that what an institution really needs in order to get ahead is an attractive, blondish, rugged, plaid bedecked individual. Bonus points if he's witty and charming.

Apparently Robert Morris College decided I'm right. Let's face it, there's really no better way to promote the school. Observe.


Eh? Pretty effective, no? You can't wait to matriculate all over that can you ladies?

Literally thousands of high school students are now receiving that very flyer. Even more are receiving different versions where I'm sprawled out across several books, clad only in the pages of works by James Joyce. I also have nipple tassels made out of Truman Capote's writings. It's the decidedly racier version.

However I want everyone to know I didn't write that text floating near my perfect head. Nor did I say it in the commercial that this picture is taken from. In fact, I don't think I ever said anything to that extent in the whole my time there. Although one time I'm pretty sure I said "I have a goal and plan to get out of here." So maybe they misquoted me on that.

Interestingly, I also didn't say they could put me on a flyer! I signed a release that said they could use my likeness for the commercial, not for flyer distribution. Clearly I can expected a renegotiated royalties contract.

- Scott

P.S. Know, dear readers, that I had to go to the public library to scan this document. All for you. Sure, we have scanners here. Several. But apparently nobody thought it a worthy cause to keep the f*#^ing installation disks. So I had to sit, amid grammatically challenged 13 year old girls while listening to such quotable bits of information as "Rachel don't like you." It's also a great place to visit the internet, and computing in general, as it was oh say... seven years ago? That sounds right.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:32 PM

    Congratulations on the pic! It's a good one by the way, but the nipple tassle information was a little too much for me. Your Anonymouse Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. *still laughing. it hurts*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:24 PM

    i'm with nessa here...laughing...you look so little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know, what the hell? I blame photoshopping. They were clearly going for the youthful demographic. So they edited my mustache out and gave me anime eyes.

    Also, because it's a still from a video my smile is... strange.

    But I usually look young anyway. I choose to believe it's because I'm a descendant of the clan McCleod. So I can expect a long life. ...And frequent shouting of the phrase "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Scott! That is AWESOME! The nipple tassles pushed me right over the edge. I can safely say that I will never be the same after reading your blog.
    Grade A(my) Woman

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long until they erect a tacky bronze statue of you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:11 PM

    I saw this flyer for the first time today in the hallway at RMC and I had to pick it up. I thought to myself, 'how much can they use Scott's picture'. I had already seen the commercial play in an infinite loop on a plasma screen in the RMC admissions office. Also, I just recently saw the commercial on TV, so I was approaching overload.

    You do have a great smile in the commercial version. The print version for the flyer is good but does seem different.

    Anonymous Rex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. I want a hard copy to post on my AWR cubicle. Rob will be the first to tell you how that picture will more than improve the less than shabby chic decorations we currently have here.

    BTW, the "strangeness" of your smile is what drew my attention away from the message...thank goodness.

    Scott, you're the roadmap that gets me where I want to go. You're my inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:59 PM

    I think it should read:

    "I'm a Robert Morris student... and I'm only ten years old."

    Now THAT would be effective.


    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:21 AM

    The previous comment so true and hilarious all at the same time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scott - Child Prodigy. Who Doogie Howser would have been, if Doogie Howser had been dedicated to the ideals of sloth and infamy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom F, yes it is. Thanks for your support.

    Grade A(my) Woman, glad you liked it. The nipple tassels will be available for sale in the Wonder Blog Shop and should ship before the 30th.

    Jakey, we're settling on a pose at the moment. I think I'm going for the pointing into the distance.

    Anonymous Rex, I like the idea that I'm getting this much media exposure. The calls are coming in. Apparently they want me for a car commercial now.

    Kimmy, I'll get you a copy. There are apparently several versions. Posters, flyers, handbooks, and commercials. And it's not just for the Springfield campus, no it's the entirety of Robert Morris.

    I'm glad that I inspire you, maybe I will go for the far-away visionary pose for my statue...

    Keri, this is why we're divorced.

    Anonymous(e?) Umm, thanks.

    Nessa, I prefer "Master Scotty Quizboy."

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete