Thursday, July 20, 2006

The End of the World.swf

I'm somewhat loathe to move on from such a good post, what with the making fun of that picture and all. However, I have to wonder if anyone else is thinking along the same lines I am as far as the current world news situation stands. I asked, roughly five minutes before it happened, how long it would be before they started calling it WWIII. I hope that one sticks, because I'm really sick of this "War on Ter-rah".

But what troubles me the most is how close some of the religious people are to creaming their collective robes over the war. They're ecstatic! "War in Jerusalem? I can't wait until someone uses nukes! The rapture can't be far off!!!!1!!" Now this is alarming on several levels. First of all, is life on earth really so bad you can't wait for it all to be over? If so, why not just go nuts. Buy stocks on margin, drink rot gut whiskey, smoke a blunt. Whatever, live it up. But don't sit around hoping the whole world goes to hell just so you get to be a part of some apocryphal magic event that's supposed to happen just before it gets really bad down here.

And stop with the comments like:

"This is the busiest I've ever seen this website in a few years! I have been having rapture dreams and I can't believe that this is really it! We are on the edge of eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"I am excited beyond words that the struggle of this life may be over soon and I can finally be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

"Whoa! I can sure feel the glory bumps after reading this thread!"

Seriously. If you'd like to read more of this madness, check out this post over at Harpers.org. Or just dial up your favorite fundy forum. I'm sure they've already provided hours of entertainment for all of us.

- Scott

P.S. If you have to believe it's the end of the world, at least do it like this.

7 comments:

  1. Scott - the last time I felt the glory bumps was while looking at your photo for the Robert Morris propaganda war.

    p.s. Holy shit. WWIII?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's effing hot in GC. I'm tired of the not-having-electricity-because-a-huge-gust-of wind-blew-through-the-town thing.

    Unfortunately, my being sweaty and ugly from all the sweatiness has made me even more angry than usual as these religious dopes. If they think it will be so much better up in that supposed Club Med in the sky, then do the rest of us a favor and friggin kill yourself. Honestly, we could use the space. Plus, I'm tired of looking at your no-teeth having, armpit-stained wife-beater t-shirt wearing, beer-breath smelling, cigarette rolling ass anyway. Do it. And take your silly little book of stories with you.

    BTW, Nessa's glory bumps comment made me laugh out loud at work again. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 AM

    as someone who has grown up in church, i understand that there are definitely some crazies and via your comment page, here are my three comments for all the people shouting, dancing and goose bumping over the supposed immediacy of the end of the world.

    1. the end times though a small time to God is really not to us. Jesus in the Bible talks about how his disciples were living in the end times before he ascended into heaven. living in the end times is not something new for the world.

    2. stupid stupid eccentrics!! in the BIBLE (you know, the book of the God you say you serve) it also says that no man shall no the time of Christ's return AKA the end of the world as we know it so don't mind me if i seem a little irritated by people pulling out the "coincidences in numbers of days" and "knowing that what we face now is the very end." unless you are God, you are full of BS and you're making people think all Christians are psycho like you.

    3. and one question for all you little zealots: how mnay of you joined the band wagon that the year 2000 was the end of the world? that many?!?! i rest my case.

    ps. thanks for letting me vent on your page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh...I like that word, zealot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:37 PM

    I definitely agree with what J Fi said!! Rock on buddy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, even while I laugh off madness like this, there is always a small voice in my head that just has to wonder aloud if, perhaps, there are a few too many "coincidences" for hedonistic comfort. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nessa, it's WWIII if CNN says it is. And they do. ...So it is.

    Kimmy, I feel for you. It's a pretty ridiculous reason for the power to be out. Next time really cut loose on these people. Don't go at them with kid gloves.

    J Fi, I too grew up in the church. And I can somewhat understand why they feel this way. Half the sermons are about how special and important the times we live in are. I didn't mean it to be an attack on the church in general, just several of the most zelotic, mindless members of the congregation. I think your comments summed it up nicely.

    P.S. Feel free to vent anytime.

    Jakey, did you know that my google search history says that I searched for the correct spelling of coincidences exactly 40 days before your post. And I'm now the 7th comment on it. And if you add the two most holy numbers (40 and 7) together you get 47. And if you add the remaining holy number 3 to the equasion you get 50. Which is exactly 1/4th the number of characters included in your comment.

    I think it's pretty obvious what this means. It's the end of the world.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete