Tuesday, February 21, 2006

On TV...

I really enjoyed Tim's bird cage post. He was on TV, it was funny, and it made for pretty decent blogging. So, I decided that I had to attempt to get on TV myself. I mean, if Tim is going to take the blog game to the air I'm not going to be left out. Did you see how fast I jumped on the GPS bandwagon? Just like that. However, I really didn't have a plan to do so. I kicked around the idea of a "SOY BOMB" type guerilla apperance. But Bob Dylan staunchly refuses to play anywhere nearby, and no one would ever hire me for my background dancing ability. Not because I'm a bad dancer. No. But do you hire Michelangelo to touch up some chipped paint in your apartment before you move out? Such is Scott.

I was left in something of a conundrum. And I really didn't have any time to think about it anyway because I was working on all the projects I had put off until the last minute. So you can imagine my surprise when, sitting in the library one day killing time until I could go back to my house to work on my senior project, a crazy woman burst through the doors with a camera crew and demanded the people at my table to stay where they were. Apparently they were filming a commercial for the college that day, as it turned out the reason we were in the library at all was because my English Professora decided that she would sneak us down there to avoid being filmed. Well played.

It was pretty fun actually. People forced wavers into our faces insisting that we sign them, they spent a half hour trying to fix the lighting ("Oh wow, can you believe this, sunlight, tungsten, AND fluorescent! I'll tell my GRANDKIDS about this day!!!1111!!!ONE!!"), and I was selected to be the main attraction. Which is just good television really. I got to do a sound check, although they shut me down just as I was getting into the Swingers quotes, so all they heard about was my breakfast and my position on people who don't put milk on cereal. Once that was out of the way (and I had endeared myself to the crew) we worked out exactly what would happen.

I would be standing at the end of a long table filled with students idly leafing through books. The camera would dolly in from the left and come to rest looking over my shoulder, I would then do my best wearing-a-robe-by-the-fireside "Oh, hello there. I didn't hear you come in..." turn to the camera and say "I'm student at Robert Morris College." Being ridiculous to start, I had a great time making it even more ridiculous. For instance when the camera was comming up behind me I was pointing to words in a book a friend was holding and saying "Yes, yes... I know some of these words." Also, I was supposed to smile. So what I would do is say my line, pause, then out of nowhere hit them with a HUGE smile. Like creepy huge. The camera guy was outright laughing.

When I get to see it I'll post it to the Wonder Blog. Until then, I'll leave you to imagine its greatness. And of course, discuss it.

- Scott

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:20 PM

    Whenever you encounter said piece of work, I would hope that you would share it with that scruffy looking kid who wanders around with law books in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite Ro's Blog Reading Quirks is her refusal to read if there are too many words. And even if she's given up on reading it, she'll still comment. AND THEN she keeps coming back. She doesn't get discouraged and you still get a comment out of her everytime. She's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a braver monkey than I, Scotty. When a camera crew snuck up on me at work I yelped, mumbled something about world domination and then hid in Customer Service until they left.

    I'm jealous of your charisma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah thanks Ro, I really apprecaite the effort. In many ways I feel much like LeVar Burton, what with the encouraging you to read, and appearing as Kunta Kinte in the remake of Roots. It's good work.

    Wendy, your world domination plot would go over much easier with some PR. You think Hitler didn't have handlers? You think that chic little mustache was his idea. No no.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:01 PM

    20 points to Scott on the imaginary score card I keep of things that don't really matter for getting Kunta Kinte and Hitler into one comment. Only you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:18 AM

    Thank you!
    [url=http://xltjxnuw.com/qtpe/lzjh.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qvbyjhqy.com/mctt/ccxx.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:19 AM

    Thank you!
    http://xltjxnuw.com/qtpe/lzjh.html | http://lhcioqrg.com/cwbf/nldn.html

    ReplyDelete