Friday, July 14, 2006

Mother Russia, do not suffer...

"I know you're bold enough,
I've been around the world,
And I've seen your love."

Recently my activities have been influenced heavily from our Ruskie comrades. To the extent that I've purchased this hat. I'm sure you're all worried about my political affiliations, but fear not, I still vote Democrat (mostly). Besides, the Communist Party hasn't done anything for me, the disenfranchised laborer (does typing count as labor?), lately. No, those crazy kids at the former C.C.C.P. have been passing along bits of their culture that I, the good-looking, clever, trendy college student, greatly appreciate. Specifically two things I've been hot and heavy with lately.

Thing Number Одно (One): Mafia.

Jakey already posted a bit on this one, but I intend to rehash it anyway. Because I'm charming and I have pictures. And that's what you call the double whammy. Mafia is a game that's fantastic to play in a large group, i.e. 12ish people and more. Cards, denoting roles, are passed out to all the players by the moderator, who narrates the whole affair. Black cards are the mafia, red are townspeople, certain red cards are also special roles like the Ace Reporter (Ace of Diamonds) or the Doctor (Queen of Hearts).

There's a day round, and a night round. In the night the two mafiosos make their deadly selection (who to kill), the Ace Reporter makes his selection (learning for sure whether or not the person they point to is in the mafia), and the Doctor makes his selection (to save someone he thinks might have been killed by the mafia (usually himself (when I'm the doctor))). Naturally accusations fly, people get to test their deception, detection, and all-around inciting an angry crowd to stone an allegedly guilty party skills.

Here's what a typical game looks like.


Accusation!
Caitlin defends herself against the suspicions of the mob of angry townspeople. Occasionally people lose themselves completely in the game and stand up yelling "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiitchhhh!" You have to be prepared to give a good reason why you wouldn't have killed the person in question and why you couldn't have been seen flying over Goodie Proctor's barn last night.


Some are better at defending themselves than others...

As you can see by the suspicion and doubt plastered across their faces like so much makeup, and her acceptance of her impending burning at the stake, Brittany isn't doing such a great job.



An overhead view of the chaos.

And that's Mafia. Classy game, I reccomend you try it out sometime. However be aware that it can, and has, ended friendships. Like the maze at the end of Harry Potter IV, "people change in the game..."

Thing Number Dva (Two): AllofMP3.com

Thanks again, Russia. Want a site where you can actually find recordings by indie bands? (I'm frowning out the router port in your general next-hop direction, Pirate's Bay.org) I couldn't find the Swingers soundtrack anywhere (short of paying for it), nor could I find my favorite Indie/Folk band The Mountain Goats. That is until I checked out AllofMP3.com. I heartily recommend it.

For about $1.00 per album you can get whatever you want. Everything recent, and pretty much any old songs you could want as well. You aren't forced to purchase the entire albums either. You can download individual tracks if you'd like, which cost about 0.08¢ a piece. Thanks Russian economy! In addition, you get to choose the encoding level. As low as 128kbps (slightly better than radio) to as high as 320kbps (insanely good, if the third chair viola player farted in Beethoven's 9th, you'll hear it).

If you're wondering if it's legal, then you've done this dance before I take it. Fortunately in Russia an obscure, but valid, law permits music delivery by wire without copyright violations. Because that's what's happening we're solid. So load up on cheap music comrades!

Oh, I almost forgot, I also enjoy Vodka. Go Team Russia!

- Scott

7 comments:

  1. Hot damn! That site has the 1968 Vince Guaraldi album Oh Good Grief, which has been out of print for ages...FOR 78 CENTS.

    Had I lived until this moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 AM

    1. Love Mafia. I had no idea the beloved game had made its way to Jerseyville. And you're right...it can end friendships.

    2. That overhead picture looks like the gameboard of Clue.

    3. Posting on your blog makes me feel like I just walked into a party and all the music stopped and everyone is staring at me.

    That is all.

    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just know the funniest thing Jacob ever said was during a game of Mafia.

    "Okay guys, I have to level with you. I'm NOT the Ace Reporter."

    He was pretty inebriated at the time and had spent the previous 10 minutes pretending to actually be the Ace Reporter. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only one thing to say. In the first picture, I can see all the way to china town up that guy's shorts. And I CANNOT LOOK AWAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:30 AM

    this is a game i have heard about from numerous people. but have yet to play. it sound like lots of fun. sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jakey, no. I'm afraid you haven't. But fear not! AllofMP3.com will assist you for the nominal, upfront fee of $10.00.

    Carrie 2 Scary,

    1.) I love Mafia MORE. And we've bought furniture together. So yeah... it's getting pretty serious. Back off my abstract concept lady. But let's not let it end our friendship.

    2.) That overhead picture is awesome is what it is. ...But now that you mention it it really does.

    3.) Don't feel that way. Everyone is welcome. It's not like we're all talking about you off-screen everytime you post. We save that chicanery for... well it's a secret. Point is, not you.

    Timmy, it was pretty hilarious.

    Nessa, I wondered who would comment on that, and I decided it would be you. I could have mentioned it but it would have distracted from my streamlined narrative. Thanks for being my proxy.

    J Fi, It is sad that you haven't played. There should be leagues or something. And you should have to dress like 40's mobsters. If you look hard you can probably find a Zoot Suit left over from the short lived swing revival of the mid-ninties. Good hunting.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd comment on how well you know me...but it would be redundant.

    Besides, since you've decided I'm your long lost twin/clone/alternate sci-fi character description, it's only natural that you would expect this of me.

    Love me while you've got me, ducks. I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time.

    ReplyDelete