Friday, July 07, 2006

Who needs a thriving youth scene?

Thanks for the kick in the ass I needed unsigned anonymous poster. Time flies when you're celebrating and especially when you don't pay attention to what day it is for weeks at a time. But I'm gradually ramping up to my full level of activity. After being dormant for seven months I figure I'm finally rested enough. I mean, even bears hibernate for shorter periods.

So, what has been gobbling my time up like a bulemic girl eats pizza at a buffet? Jerseyville games. Much like the Goodwill Games, they rarely get the attention (or wardrobe...) they deserve, but unlike those particular games, people enjoy them.

The first game we like to play when all the J-villian's are back in our fair city is Capture the Flag. Now there's various incarnations of this game I'm sure you've all heard of. Maybe you remember the Salute Your Shorts episode played with waterballoons and flags tied to sticks. Fun, but not our collective bag, baby. Or perhaps you're more of a translocator/insta-gib shock rifle kind of guy. No dice either.

The way we play is more elaborate, intense, and Indiana Jones-esque. It works like this: we divide up into teams of four or five. Each team has a car. There are usually two to four teams. We devise cleverly worded cluse which are then hidden across the entirety of our humble town in various obscure places. Following the first clue will take you to the next and so on until the flag is found. First team back at the starting point with a flag is the winner.

Last time I had some clues that I couldn't draw well enough to express, so I decided to whip them up in photoshop. So you get to see a pretty good example of the kinds of things you can expect. I'll let you try to solve them in the comments and I'll tell you how close you came to interpreting the clues correctly (even if you don't know what the answer you come to means). Here they are:


Clue #1



Clue #2


Clue #3

The game gets very deep sometimes. For instance, two games ago I wrote a clue I knew Rob (the leader of the opposing team) would have to Google to solve. So, I disabled his internet before I left his house (which was the base). I also inspected the notepad they had been using for clue writing to see if there were any imprints deep enough to be legible. Sadly I just got the shape of their flag.

Anyway, the other game we play is Mafia. I'll get into that in the next post... if you can solve my clues.

- Scott

10 comments:

  1. Should I answer these? I already know the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hrmmm...

    Is the second one some sort of backstop on cross... street? Or maybe it's saying "stop walking around naked with the lights on it offends my delicate, christian sensibilities"!? Yes. Yes. That must be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well your first shot was way off. But you recovered nicely. Yes, I meant to send them to the house of one of the most prominent nudists in the town. Although if they had gone to the obscure and defunct baseball backstop on cross street... well that would have been close enough.

    One down, two left.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:10 PM

    I couldn't figure these out if I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My best guess for the last one, as I know nothing about your Jerseyville, is Dawson's Dentistry, or Whiney White Kids with Delusions of Filmmaking Grandeur Dentistry.

    Am I close?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hrmmm...

    is the first one jbc? Baptist Church? or someones initials!? Jackie Chans house. Jackie "the Badass" Chan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian and Nessa, good work. I wouldn't want you cats on the opposing team. Fortunately I have no idea where Ian lives and the distance is prohibitive for Nessa so I won't worry too much about it.

    Yes, the answer to the first one is JBC which is the local abbrevation of Jerseyville Banking Center, which is the local name for Carrollton Bank.

    The one that Nessa guessed was also right. Dawson's Dentistry. Which I actually expected to have the most mainstream likelihood of being solved.

    Well played. Now on to mafia. Well... after a breif Pirates of the Carribean detour.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I used to go to Dawson's Dentistry!! I should have gotten that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so mainstream it hurts, baby.

    ReplyDelete