Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pirates of the Carribean: The Distracted Man's Film

I went out and saw PotC (henceforth refered to as "Potsey") last night, and I have to agree with Nessa; I was dissapointed*. However, I was dissapointed for different reasons. Don't get me wrong, every criticism of hers was valid, however I had read so many bad reviews of this movie that when I finally got to see it I was expecting something along the lines of the worst film ever made. Sadly this was not the case.

I will say that it's a very ADD special effects** loving film. They introduce plots like... well like the below film explains. I recommend you watch it.




So true, and from a ninja: so you know it's good. What I decided is that Potsey isn't actually one three hour movie. It's a series of short fifteen minute films. You could even divide it up that way. For instance, when Orlando Bloom is on Davy Jone's ship and has his misadventures, that's a movie. When the crew visits the Big Bad Voodoo Mama, that's a movie. It's just a whole bunch of short films spackled together to appear, at first glance, as one larger narrative. But don't get taken in; it's as much one coherent entity as Voltron. Seemingly one, but really made up of five robotic lions.

- Scott

*But see the movie anyway, it's not wholly abysmal. You have to look at it as the second act in a three act play. Everyone has problems, nothing seems resolveable, and there's an intermission where we all go out and talk about how bad it's sucking at the moment. And then look forward to the deus ex machina.

**Best special effect of the film: making it appear as though Kiera Knightley has any breasts to speak of.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:32 AM

    i consider that a decent assessment, but i am more happy that you used and actually know the meaning of the term "deus ex machina." i have heard that one misused time and again...gets old when people are trying to use words they dopn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:14 AM

    I'm very disappointed with this blog. I was hoping this movie was going to be great. I have looked forward to it all year. When will the let downs end!!! oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J Fi, not only do I know the word and it's meaning... I can pronounce it. That's right. I'm pretty amazing.

    Anonymouse, you're dissapointed with my blog just because a movie is bad? Man... talk about your arbitrary reasons to dislike something. Oh well. I hate Eskimos, so I can relate.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:35 PM

    i don't think he ruined the movie. i think he provided you with the opportunity to go in with more realistic standards so as not to be as bummed as those of us who didn't have the forewarning. so yeah....thanking him would be appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:15 PM

    ok.so it's not your blog that disappoints, it's the movie that disappoints but I still want to see it judge for myself. Now on to the next blog my dear fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as disappointments go... Ask A Ninja never Disappoints.

    ReplyDelete