Saturday, January 07, 2006

Vo-Nage.

Hi kids. I've been as swamped as New Orleans (what, is this also too soon?) lately so I haven't had time to post. Hurricane "Blowing off a week of school before break" came and bit me in the ass. So now that the majority of my back homework is made up (as far as I know) and now that I've had a bit o' rest since the violent transition back to the world of scheduals and due dates, I'm ready to drop a few trains on you. I can only hope you're ready to receive them.

Recently something has been seriously inciting my ranting wrath. This something: utter mis-use of computer jargon, and mispronunciation of common tech company names. The biggest offender: a local advertisement for Vonage, the broadband phone company. It's pronounced Von-age. In fact the vice president of the company once addressed this matter stating, " The name Vonage... is meant to imply "the age of VON" (Voice over Net)." Yes I know, she too is ridiculous. However, dumbass local guy always leads into the commercial break with "Sponsorship of this program provided by "Vo-Nage." And he does so in the most annoying-self-assured-but-wrong manner imaginable.

To the announcer I say this: if I ever catch you around town, confidently striding about and telling people about your Vo-Nage endorsements I think I'll kick you in the nuts. Just so you know.

Feel free to add to this list similar offenders.

- Scott

8 comments:

  1. The people who emphasize the "Best" half of "Best Buy"

    ...which is everyone...
    except for Minnesotans.
    I will hold strong, because it definitely sounds better our way.
    OOOOOOk?

    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:35 AM

    Hey now!!!!


    I.....


    well... it's the only thing I allegedly mispronounce.


    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah BEST Buy! I enjoy saying it that way.

    I hate it when people mispronounce "computer." Lots of people pronounce it "Apple" and that is simply incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've decided that I pronounce Best Buy almost evenly. But that if I do lean one way or another it's toward the best BUY style over the seemingly annoying BEST buy. That would probably grate on me. Almost as "pop."

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work at previously mentioned establishment, but I've never noticed anyone say "BEST buy".

    I pronounce it "God Foresaken Hell Hole" anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:08 PM

    Thank you!
    [url=http://dniaeuxu.com/yuhc/noxz.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qqppixxr.com/pxus/muni.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:08 PM

    Good design!
    http://dniaeuxu.com/yuhc/noxz.html | http://feulladw.com/yhrw/ytxb.html

    ReplyDelete