Friday, April 22, 2005

The Final Countdown

Well I just got back from one hilarious night of Kung Fu Hustle and Smallville. Thank you Wherenberg and Tivo respectively. If you haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle, do. You won't regret it, and there's a good likelyhood that you'll pee your pants laughing. The same is true of the last episode of Smallville. There's some pretty gaping plot holes there. I had a good time pointing them out, so good in fact that I found myself wishing I was trapped on a satellite with two robot pals and a theater to myself. Oh, how I long to supplant Mike Nelson.

Anyway, on to less usurp-ful news. In just four of your Earth days, I will begin a legendary voyage. One no doubt filled with peril, a lack of attention to more important details, and general Tom Foolery. That's pretty well locked in place. Here's the variable: music. I always listen to the Europe classic, The Final Countdown, as the plane is taking off. The stewardesses really frown on me using my headphones during preflight, but I've never been much for the rules. Besides it gives the takeoff that sense of purpose it typically lacks. Suddenly it's not just some trip I'm on, because "we're leaving together". And it's not like we're really on the same journey so I make it known "but still it's farewell". "And maybe we'll come back to Earth, who can tell?" I think to myself. Because even though it's not likely, there's a chance we'll make escape velocity and just leave the whole wretched planet behind us and somehow travel through space in a jet. Stranger things have happened. The current success of Carrot Top for instance. At somepoint I notice I'm flying Southwest, and sighing I soliloquise "I guess there is no one to blame". Then all of a sudden "We're leaving ground (Leaving Ground...)". And I steel myself because "It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN (The FINAL COUNTDOWN!)"

And that's how I start every flight. Incidently it explains why I swallow whole peanuts exclaiming that they're my "protien pills", brag that my ship can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, and feel so completely comfortable relieving myself in my pants during extended flight. Morbidly, I also like to listen to "Major Tom" shortly before landing. Which brings me to my question o' the post. What songs should I fill in my trip with. Take off is firmly settled into it's synth driven 80's anthem, but the rest of the flight/adventure is completely audiologically blank. Color my world people, and do it with sound.

That's it for this post, I might squeeze in another before the actual final countdown, but I promise to post from Seattle. I'm sure I'll have good stories to regale you with. Now let's hear those suggestions.


- Scott

4 comments:

  1. Scotty, you forgot to make mention of that one asshole in the movie theatre who didn't turn his cell phone off. So it would Ring right at the climax of the film... oh wait... that was you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone noticed it amid the guy who had to pee every 10 minutes. Did you see that him? He was in and out of the theater more times than the cleaning people at a peep show. Somebody has a thimble sized, girl bladder. Oh that's right. It was the guy sitting one safety seat away from me...

    Now quit derailing my post!

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, are you two watching movies now? Your relationship has moved beyond the blogosphere? I'm pissed. And I feel left out. And I'm also pissed.

    Anyway, in regards to your query, might I recommend the opening track of Bright Eyes' "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" entitled "At the Bottom of Everything." While the song (and indeed, the album) is good enough to recommend on its own merits, the story Conor tells about a terrible plane crash at the beginning of the track is what really makes it applicable in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ???? If I were an anime character there would have been a single color background with the slash lines across it as I make an exaperated expression. I have no idea what you're talking about airhead. But you're forgiven. So is abby. I'll tell you guys again and I'll do it in bold so it sticks: Never take me seriously.

    Timmy, great song selection. I remember the set up you gave it when you played it on the "X Factor, the best of what you're not hearing and what you're not hearing enough of". I'm pretty sure I screwed up the tag line, but you get the gist. Pretty hilarious reccomendation, I think I'll have to go with it. And as far as the other part of your comment, that's right. Our relationship is more than blog deep. It also extends to outings in which my greatness becomes even more apparent.

    We'd invite you, but then we'd be taking up 5 seats in the theater to preserve our unambigous heterosexual status. Plus you're in Iowa. Plus, we don't want to hear about how people behind you can't see. But call me next time you're in town and we'll grit our collective teeth and get through it.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete