Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gentleman Awesome House

As per request, I've decided to write a review of the indie rock show I showed up to looking totally hot, on Saturday. It was the band of my dear childhood friend Kiley Lewis, called Gentleman Auction House. Seeing the band on stage I better understand what they mean with the name. The band subscribes to the Broken Social Scene philosophy of having 27 people on stage, each of whom will play on any random song they fancy. Like an Auction House... of Gentlemen, with all the comming and going. I guess a brothel has that same quality, men showing up, doing what they like and taking off... But it's likely harder to get gigs if your band goes under the name of "Kiley and the Whore House Crooners." Although I do like the cadence that name carries.

Anyway, the lead singer, who I will call Bobby because if I knew him I would at some point say "dude, you should be called Bobby," was described by Lewis as having a voice that can only be captured by the word "characteristic-y." Fair enough, he also drew comparisons to Connor Oberst and I distinctly remember some smug drunk music snob came up to me and said "Oh look it's Weezer Jr." Then I kicked his bloody teeth in. I guess it could have been a compliment. But GAH* doesn't tolerate backhanded River Cuomo referencing compliments like that. And neither do I.

Overall the show was pretty good. I got to enjoy several Bailey's Irish Creams on the rocks, the band sounded good (actually very good, I was impressed because I wasn't in love with them based on the three songs they had up on Myspace**), and I got to partake of some merch. I think it was the merch that really sold it for me. For those of you who don't like to abrev everything, merch is the "I'm too hip for multisyllabic words" version of merchandise. Anyway, I bought two shirts. I intend to wear them ironically. The best way.

- Scott

*Higgins: "What kind of word is that? gaaaah?"
**Advertising Indie Rock Bands, the only acceptable usage of Myspace. Like... ever.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    I find that myspace is also a good place to have bands find you and ask to be your friend, thus opening up a forum for dialogue, then next thing you know you're backstage at their next show pointing at the peasants in the audience and thinking, "you losers."

    ReplyDelete