Friday, July 08, 2005

Junk in her trunk...

Quick story before I review the Top 5 posts of the 2004/2005 Blog Year. Yesterday I was driving to my newspaper meeting - being as I'm the editor, I figured it would be a nice thing to show up. However on my merry way to the college I was rocking out to some happening track on my iPod. I forget which... I really have no idea... it could have been any of them. Zepplin, Linkin Park, the Carpenters. Ok, fine I do remember. It was Bon Jovi (literally french for "Good" Jovi) and the song was "Livin' on a Prayer" which I am, baby.

Anyway, I'm at a stop light and I notice these girls vibing me in a really weird way. Kind of smiling, maybe a titter of laughter. Now you could chalk it up to my air-drum solo, but I prefer to think they were deep into my style and attractive-ness. The light in our lane - a turn lane - turned green and people started to go. I looked ahead breifly, then back at the girls and continued to throw them my seductive look - having done it in the mirror I can tell you it's pretty effective, seriously I'm just glad Rob didn't walk in when I had succumbed to myself and made out with my reflection. But as I'm throwing them the seducitve look and continuing to rock out to Good Jovi, I become aware of one critical element that I had thus far overlooked: whether or not the car ahead of me had decided to go through the light. It hadn't.

I hit the car pretty hard, just barely having noticed it and slammed on the brakes an instant too late to be effective. Best of all, the girls were laughing so hard by this point they had to stop and wait for the next light with me and the old lady I had just plowed into. So, I get out and do my "Omigosh! I'm so sorry. Are you alright. I can't believe it. Some other statement about my being sorry and hoping that you aren't the type to call the insurance companies" bit. Fortunately (as I might have guessed from her license plate "GRAMMY 86") she was a grandma. I might have alternately guessed that she was the recipient of a 1986 Grammy, but I would have been wrong.

There was no damage to my car and just some minor scratches to hers, its amazing what kind of damage granny cars can sustain and not look any worse from it. I once ran over some mailboxes and had no idea, I also hit Sara T.'s car and pretty well screwed up the front end of it, with no damage to mine. So, Granny-mobiles being the tanks they are, we both went our seperate ways, no harm no foul. But damn, were my chances shot with those girls. At least they laughed.

- Scott

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Scott you made me laugh out loud at work... very funny.. I am glad you weren't hurt though..... practicing in the mirror..... hahahahaha Mom F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Scott,that was almost more than I can handle. I have the picture of it in my head right now! I think you should post a picture of this seductive look...or have you already! :o) Thanks for letting us share in your pain. Oh, and thanks for making me #3...
    Grade A(my) Woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny cars basically rock.

    I'm in love with my Buick LeSabre to the point that if it was a real person (and by person I mean man) I would totally consider marrying it.
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really REALLY wish I had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. scotty: this scene didn't really happen, did it? i think it appears in a John Hughes film in 1983.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, I completely missed your comment. But yeah, I can honestly say that it actually happened.

    Although you might want to tell Rob about that movie, I'm pretty sure he'd just about sell his soul to get to see me do that. You see, I'm smooth as sharkskin, and only a fraction as tacky.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete