Monday, July 25, 2005

Fight The Power!

I had a bit of trouble with the title. I don't know if you noticed, it was subtle (and now I've changed it, but I like this intro). In any case the body of this one is stellar. I've come to a revelation about movies, and it is this: that their purpose is tri-fold. First, to sell you things. Secondly, for you to show off all the cool seating positions you've learned to your date/fellow movie goers. And finally, to entertain you. Note that this is last, it's also the only one that I'm totally ok with.

It's the first that really pisses me off. I've been going to a lot of movies lately, and what I can no longer stand are the "cinematic commercials" they sit us down and FORCE us to watch. They dim the lights and like cattle (or some animal that gets quiet when they turn the lights out) we become silent and watch commercials that we usually mute at home. If it weren't for my weakness for the Fantanas I would have spoken out a long time ago. That damn Sophia Fanta (the one who likes Grape) I hate the commercials before movies but would probably watch 15 minutes of them just to see her... But be strong Scott, damn the commercials!

And that's what I've been trying to do. Ever since I heard someone 'shhhh' another person over talking during a commercial, for the last few months I've made a point of yelling "BOO commercials!" (ask around, it's true) any time they come on. The time has come to rise up my blog brothers and sisters. I will personally pay a dollar to anyone who also shouts their dislike of commercials at movies while they're running.

In other news, I had to write a bio for my school to print up and distribute to new students. I had another before this one, but it was largely based on Highlander, and I thought that the bit about "taking the head of my greatest enemy" might have sent up a few red flags. So here's the one I actually had them print. This is what they're distributing to new students to welcome them to the school, and no one proof-reads my stuff. I love my position, without further ado:

"Born in 1985, Scott displays a wisdom that stretches far beyond his years. He is currently working as a coal miner and going to school full time. Despite these commitments, he still has time to water his Aloe Vera plant, perform monologues from the movie Flashdance, and mentor new students. Feel free to ask him to share some of his hard earned, earthy wisdom; you'll be glad you did."

I.
Can't.
Wait.
For an administrator to read that.

- Scott

3 comments:

  1. Why in God's name has your school decided to distribute your bio to incoming students in the first place? I realize that you're by far the most personable and charismatic student at your school, granted. This is not so much a statement about you as it is about the students at your school.

    But what are they saying? That you're SO important, every single incoming new student should at least know some basic information about you as a primer to RoMo? Because, if they are...

    I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:07 PM

    About the post: Perhaps you should edit your blog... I feel I should print it, get out my red pen, edit it and slip it in your RMC mailbox. hahaha
    About the first comment: You may feel he's the most personable, charismatic, yadda yadda yadda, but that's only b/c you haven't met me. There are diamonds in the proverbial rough that is Bobby M., we just aren't there long b/c we transfer quick.
    ~Eddi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You critique my editorial skills then post a comment rife with grammatical errors? I could go through them piece by piece, but I prefer to bask in the glory that is Scott Gilmore Girls Watching Time.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete