Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Tops

One of the music blogs I frequent recently posted their choices for the Top 22 Songs of 2005. Why 22? I don't know. But it's a nice round number (though I would have used either 8 or 1995) and all 22 songs are worth hearing. I don't necessarily agree that these are the best songs of 2005, but a lot of them are on my list anyway. Without further bullshit, I give you the link. All the songs are download-able for free so you can hear them for yourself. And as a bonus I'll tell you which songs are actually the best, or at least, my favorites.

Said The Grammophone's Top 22 Songs of 2005.

Scott's Personal Favorites:

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes: This is one of my favorite songs of all time. It's not my normal fare by any means, but the lyrics really drive it home. I find myself singing this song all the time, and occasionally inserting lyrics from it into everyday speech. Most of the time I can work it in so casually nobody stops and says "Wait, what the hell are you talking about?" Now that's smooth baby. Give it a listen. Bonus side trivia: Andrew Bird plays almost every instrument in the song except drums. Double bonus: I can't hear the lyrics "Dewy eyed Disney bride" without thinking of Allyn.

Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone: I know. I know. Kelly Clarkson... what the hell. But the damn song is addiciting. Sean's description is perfect, so I'd strongly urge you to just read that. In addition I'll admidt that when I'm alone at my apartment or when I'm driving I'll just put this on and freaking rock out. To compensate for the gay-ness of this one song I also hunt deer... with my bare hands.

Sufjan Stevens - Casmir Polaski Day: This song makes me think of Rachel Sandvig. I don't know why. Anyone remember her? While I'm not a Sufjan fanatic, I do kind of enjoy him from time to time. So if I'm not wild about the song and I don't have anything more insightful to say about it than Rachel Sandvig referenes why list it? To piss off Jake.

Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek: Didn't Lauren Bitchwater want to name her child Imogen once? That taint aside, the song is entrancing. It's like staring into a fire. Anticipate four minutes, twenty eight seconds of not doing anything. Once again, not my usual fare, but a worthy song for the list.

The Strokes - You Only Live Once: Glad to see The Strokes can actually evolve musically as a band. I liked their first two albums, but there wasn't a lot of difference between them. So I got a little scared. Especially considering that another band I once liked has done nothing different since their debut. I'm looking in your direction Coldplay. Way to grow as an artist, asshole(s)! Speed of Sound? More like "Cut from the first album."

I could go on, but I don't think I need to. Suffice it to say Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, and LCD Soundsystem are all represented with songs that are definitely worth a curious listen. I also like Agent Simple, if for no other reason than that their name reminds me of Improv Everywhere, and I love Improv Everywhere.

So that's all for today. I probably won't be able to post again until Monday when I'm settled into my new floating city of a ship. Feel free to post responses and rebutals, I look forward to it. But now, off to skate in Forest Park. The next time most of you see me I'll be much tanner, hopefully not too tan though. I don't want to get searched at the airports*.

- Scott

* You could be offended here, but come on. You know that's how it works.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02 AM

    Have fun on your cruise Scotty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't recognize a single one of those songs in that list. Also, I didn't care. So I'll comment about something else altogether. I finally watched the Fantastic Four. Know how I think it could have been better? If they changed the casting around a bit. Here's my vision for the Fantastic 4: Jessica Alba, Jessica Alba, Jessica Alba and Jessica Alba. Other than that, you were right, it just wasn't good. Eh, Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks people. I did have fun. Glad none of you liked the music. Except for Cara who likes a few of the tracks. But she's awesome. What have the rest of you to say for yourselves?

    Oh, and thanks Ro. You too.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:08 AM

    Well done!
    [url=http://skocjmms.com/vvuk/nyeb.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ufsftzva.com/hufm/jqag.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:08 AM

    Great work!
    http://skocjmms.com/vvuk/nyeb.html | http://lnswaekf.com/daop/yrvv.html

    ReplyDelete