Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of National Treasure

Last night I made the mistake of going and seeing Indiana Jones IV. This wouldn't be such a bad thing, the movie was passable, the theater was awesome, and I like staying out late. Unfortunately I also woke up at 5:00 in the godforsaken morning that day. As a result by the time I got to the theater at 12:00 AM the next morning I was coming up on 20 hours of being awake.

Unfortunately all the booze, caffeine, and slap happiness coursing through my veins was not enough to stem the high tide of George Lucas's utter bastardization of the Indy franchise. So steel yourself and prepared for the horror as I review Indiana Jones, and the aging director.

Warning! Thar be spoilers past this point.

Let me be clear, I enjoyed a few things about this movie. So I'll get them out of the way first.

The Good



  • Indy's back; Harrison Ford doesn't suck.
  • Still casts the same shadow. See above.
  • Whip technology in the '50s is as conveniently plot obliging as it was in the '30s.
That said, I'll now indulge the bitchy high school gossip queen side of my personality, and tell you all the things that made me want steal the T.A.R.D.I.S., go back in time and kill George Lucas the instant filming wrapped on The Last Crusade.

The Bad

  • Shiite LaBeowulf. Or whatever the shit his name is made a respectable showing... for his first few minutes of screen time. Sure he dramatically burst into focus as a hodgepodge of '50s stereotypes riding a motorcycle and broadcasting "douche bag" at 50,000 decibels, but if I could accept Kate Capshaw for an entire movie, this post-pubescent little asshat was not going to bring me down. I would enjoy this movie if it took every last ounce of my rapidly waning alertness.

    But then he just kept being in the movie. I think I lasted as far as his bonding with his dad in the jungle... but then it happened. When you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about already. Imagine the most ridiculous thing that could happen in what is ostensibly an adult action/adventure movie. Now add two suitcases of ridiculous and you're close:

    The little shit gets swept up into the vines hanging from trees. There, he quickly befriends the monkey king or something equally cocked up, and learns to swing like from vine to vine like Tarzan. It wasn't so much that I minded, it's acceptable for a swing or two. But the obnoxious little Ben Savage clone used it to chase down motor vehicles racing through the jungle. And when he got there, his new monkey friends all but joined him in a Disney-esque song about how if we work together we can overcome anything, as they helped him fight the film's main villain.

  • The "Plot." It can be described thusly: take the plot of the upcoming X-Files movie. Fuse it with a National Treasure script. Make Indiana Jones the main character. Add feces. Also, if you can find a way for Indy to survive a nuclear blast using a kitchenette set, that's just aces. Really, I'm as into aliens and nuclear holocaust as the next sci-fi obsessed white male, but it does not belong in my Indiana Jones.

  • Did I mention those fucking monkeys? At least in the old series they'd kill a monkey now and then. The modern incarnation is so family friendly, even the monkey that got thrown off the cliff gets to survive.


  • Cate Blanchett. Looked like a Romulan.


    Tell me which one is not a Romulan. I dare you.

  • Finally, unnecessary CGI. I've learned from you George. About myself. I've learned that I prefer campy live action stunts over plastic, sterile, boring CGI effects. Is it really that hard to get actors on location? Did you ever even leave the greater Los Angeles area or was this whole monstrosity shot against a green screen a la Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Next time (and now I have no doubt that there will be a next time) how about you get those old saggy asses out in the elements and shoot anyone who suggests how much better they could make it look with a computer and eight hours in Maya.
So that's what I thought. Overall grade? C+. Though, do I think anyone cares? No. Everyone's going to see this, and damn it, I'm probably going to see it again. Lucas won't be happy until he's bastardized everything he ever made that had any value whatsoever. So enjoy this National Treasure/X-Files/Jones mash-up for what it is; an excuse to see Harrison Ford in that hat again.


Could we all just agree to kick George Lucas in the nuts before he remakes THX1138 with gigantic killer robots as he "always intended," though?

8 comments:

  1. Ro hates you. She hasn't read your post yet, but she probably feels the hatred welling up inside of her and she can't figure out why.

    She has loved Shia LaBeouf since she was in Jr. High watching Even Stevens (1999)... oh my god she was in junior high while I was graduating high school. I'm a pedophile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two words:

    Shiite LaBeowulf.

    That, my dear, will keep me going the rest of the day.

    I loathe that twerp. Ewww...just thinking about his nastiness makes me wanna go shower.

    And, he's supposed to be Indy's son? Come on...surely Indy's kid would be better looking than that! I remember all to well what HF looked like in 1981, and even if Indy impregnated the monkey king, his kid would still HAVE to be better looking than Skanky LaBuffpuff.

    And, I'm sorry Ro. He's just...ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget, its also Steven Spielberg's fault as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bad, here's a cleaner link.

    http://www.ouchpost.com/ouchpost/uploaded_images/shia_labeouf-743887.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. That linked pic of Shia looks like his big, weird head superimposed on someone hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i say kick those nuts. kick them hard

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this point, my darling one, your silence has become embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete