Sunday, March 23, 2008

Everything except Road Head

Meet the new car, not the same as the old car:


Pre-Modded-Prius.

Thar she be. The new car, a 2008 Magnetic Grey Toyota Prius. The car itself is no less than fucking awesome. But before I get into all of that, I feel I must defend the choice. I shouldn't have to, but there are people who have an aversion to the car, if not an outright hate, and it's them I address now: read my below post, and piss off.

Now, on to the meat. The car is beautiful from a technical standpoint. I even like its vaguely teardrop shape. But technologically, it's a knockout. Here's a rundown of a few features I went crazy for long before I bought it:
  • Joystick shifter.
  • Hackable.
  • Car senses my presence, unlocks when I grab handle.
  • Key never has to leave my pocket, even to start the car.
  • Backup camera.
  • Touch-screen controls.
  • iPod port to interface with the sound system.
  • BlueTooth to interface with my phone.
  • Four doors (screw folding a seat down for passengers.)
  • Conversion kits to allow you to plug your Prius into your house to provide power. (Essentially making it a gigantic drivable emergency generator.)
  • Room enough for 3-5 dead hookers in cargo area.
And the best reason; what I call the Prius Moneyshot...


That sweet, sweet, mileage.

The last vehicle I drove that got such awesome MPG was a moped. In the above you can see the MFD (that touch screen I talked about, currently displaying Energy Consumption), the distant speedometer readout and the blue blur that is my radar detector.

Now I've mentioned hacks for the car no less than three times so far, so they warrant a quick rundown at the least. Here's what I've done to the car so far.

Hacks
  • Disabled beeping when in reverse.
  • Disabled passenger seatbelt alert
  • Disabled driver seatbelt alert
  • Hacked firmware to allow me to dial phone numbers on the touch screen while in motion.
  • Enabled voice control (allegedly only available with the Nav system I didn't buy.)
  • Removed parts of the wheel that didn't do anything (in above photo the "webbing" between spokes).
  • Increased tire pressure for better mileage.
  • Hacked wireless sensors in tires to accept higher pressure than expected.
  • Hacked same sensors to alert me when I lost 2 PSI instead of the standard 18.
  • EV mode. Allows me to choose to run the car as a hybrid or all electric. Short for Electric Vehicle mode.
Now, dear reader, is when I need your help. I haven't been able to sufficiently name this car. The last one was easy; Tom Celica. It hung together so nicely. So I'm turning to you, my audience to suggest names. Here's what I've come up with so far.

Potential Prius Names:
  • Priapus. If you're not snickering over that one click the link and find out why I am.
  • Judas Prius. Self explanatory.
  • HAL. Open the hatchback door HAL. "I'm afraid I can't do that, Scott."
  • Icarus. There's really no reason for this one. I just like it and I, like Robert Plant, hold a fondness for the character. Besides, NASA used to give things awesome mythological names. Why can't I? Also, I think that was the name of the ship in Sunshine, which is the best SciFi movie I've seen since Serenity.
  • Evey. Dual reference, Evey Hammond from V for Vendetta, and the EV mode.
And that's all I've got. Here's my offer, if any of you come up with a name for this car, I'll buy you a 20 dollar iTunes gift certificate. All I need for that is your email, and I'd be roughly 20 dollars worth of grateful. Otherwise just let me know what you think of my potentials.

Annnd... Go.

13 comments:

  1. Good Post!
    I LOL'ed
    I :,-(
    I wondered WTF...

    1) Admit it, you did the seatbelt hacks just because you wanted to hack everything you possibly could. I personally love passenger seatbelt beeps so I can then yell at someone and say "The Car doesn't like that..."

    2) I liked Evey for the exact reasons you gave. We almost named Cricket Evey... and she doesn't even have an EV mode.

    3) The was no photo showing the webbing... WTF are you talking about?

    4) I might vote against Priapus, simply because since you're not buying a SUV, why would you go to such measures to illustrate a need for penile compensation.

    5) Ro's Civic Hybrid is "Magnetic Pearl." Someone should tell these paint naming guys that Magnets and cutting edge technology don't necessiarly mix.

    6) EV and Voice Control are the sweetest "hacks." I'm glad to see that Toyoda went to the Microsoft Vista school of thought of selling everyone the same code but only enabling certain features.

    7) I also love the people who have to tell you that you never get "quite" the millage that the sticker claims and that its all a scam. Not realizing their vehicle doesn't "quite" get the 28 mpg that their car was rated either which more or less nullifies their argument. Ro's car may not really get 60 mpg, but I can boast about getting around 35 while driving 85 mph... and more than 50 mpg if I stick to 55-60 mph.

    8) HAL is too 2001. Think current times sir! GLaDOS is the new HAL. Did your WoW mount have a name?

    8.1) Did you hear there's a new patch coming out taking us to 80? And 1-60 is way easier to do now. And there's new classes?

    8.1b) And Kris got engaged!

    8.2) After my semester is over, and therefor school being over, I might reactivate my WoW character... maybe...

    9) Longest comment ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.) No. I did it because I put heavy shit on the front seat and it was beeping at me like a motherfucker. Also, I hate the nanny-state of current automobiles. Also, just because I could.

    2.) Evey is growing on me. I was also thinking of one you posted later.

    3.) It's hard to explain. It's there, but you don't notice it until you've seen it without it. It goes from this Fischer-Price crap. To this level of relative acceptability.

    4.) Touche.

    5.) For this reason I almost named it Magneto. But, meh, I like the idea of ever getting laid again.

    6.) Don't you cast aspersions on my 1337-hax0r status. Nor whether or not what I did qualifies as a hack. Technically most of it could be considered a mod, but those two in particular are the actual, software "hacks." And it's Toyota. Toy Yoda is what that woman was pissed about after the radio competition.

    7.) I know, bastards. Besides I occasionally get better than the EPA mileage, but only when I'm willing to not be a lead foot.

    8.) I considered GLaDOS, but a.) that bitch scares me, b.) I would prefer that the car not suddenly fill with deadly nerve gas and c.) the cake is a lie, I know it's not related, but it's such a betrayal.

    8.1) Yeah I heard, and my jones stirred. Is this what being addicted to smack is like? Also, what bullshit. I had to pave my way from 1-70 with blood, sweat, and rage. What's this easy shit? I had to kite the whole FUCKING DESERT to level, by myself, trying not to get ganked goddamn it!

    8.1b) To Trueblood? Or to Olhado?

    8.2) God damn it. I was out! I got out, and you wanna suck me right back in... My feelings are best expressed by this comic: The Ungift.

    9.) No shit. Think anyone will care to follow that fucking declaration of co-dependence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet ride!

    Here are some name suggestions:

    1) Darth Prius (or Darth Priapus)
    2) Optimus Prius
    3) Prius Erecticus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:09 PM

    I'm 100% in favor of Optimus Prius.

    Alternatively, make it Optimus Priapus and the hilarity will NEVER END.

    p.s. Goddamn I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:12 PM

    p.s. What...the...fuck?

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Pompeya_er%C3%B3tica6.jpg

    WHY IS IT ON A SCALE??? AND WHAT THE HELL IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SCALE???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:15 PM

    p.p.s.

    "The episode gave him a lasting hatred of asses and a willingness to see them killed in his honour."

    Okay, let me see if I'm getting this straight. This guy is born impotent, runs around desperately trying to rape anything with two legs, fails because a donkey intervenes and becomes so filled with enraged lust that his penis swells to disturbing size and constant erection - a state that makes it impossible for him to move and so what we have, at the end of the day, is a guy with an enormous dick who hates ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:19 PM

    OK, last one I swear:

    " Percidere, puer, moneo; futuere, puella;
    barbatum furem tertia poena manet.

    Femina si furtum faciet mihi virve puerve,
    haec cunnum, caput hic praebeat, ille nates.

    Per medios ibit pueros mediasque puellas
    mentula, barbatis non nisi summa petet.

    I warn you, boy, you will be screwed; girl, you will be fucked; a third penalty awaits the bearded thief.

    If a woman steals from me, or a man, or a boy, let the first give me her cunt, the second his head, the third his buttocks.

    My dick will go through the middle of boys and the middle of girls, but with bearded men it will aim only for the top"

    Yeah. You HAVE to name your car Optimus Priapus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jakey, I've been calling it Icarus all along, but now I'm starting to wonder about the other suggestions.

    Luciano, as a result of SSBB I now associate you with Lucario, which shall be what I call you from now on. Take heart, you gain strength when injured.

    Nes, Optimus Priapus has a nice ring to it. The Marcus Aurelius of our day... I'll consider it.

    Nes (again), he's using the weight of his phallus to meter out the blow. He's lucky, mine is only useful for measuring in kilos. It's metric.

    Nes (once more, with feeling), Zeus's balls, the ancients were dirty. It's like the only things that got written down were the things that the scribes thought they might tuck away for some 'private time' later on.

    Good to be back.

    Everyone, did you figure out I was signed in on my Hornstein account when I commented earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote Judas Prius, or Optimus Prius. And I'm still calling you Higgins, Tom Celica or no Tom Celica.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears you have only one real choice to make: Is the car a male, female or Giant Electric Phallus on webless wheels?

    If its female I'd still stick with Evey. But with the quality of other choices... only if its destined to be female.

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. Why did no one tell me to change my avatar? I don't work in God forsaken retail anymore??? Scott, I thought it was your turn to watch me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Icarus is what you name a junky car you buy for $500 off craigslist from a smelly guy--because it's going to DIE.
    Don't set a nice happy car up for failure right off the blocks.

    It's like naming a kid Dido.

    ReplyDelete