Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Eighth Deadly Sin

Unfortunately, the 8th Deadly Sin has no simple one-word definition. But, in as few words as possible, it could be defined this way: the despising of johnny-come-latelies.

Everybody does it. Did you read that book, or like that TV show, or see the original version of that movie before everybody went ape-shit over it? If the answer is yes, then you know what I'm talking about. If the answer is no, then how does it feel to be a follower? I'm guessing: really desperate.

I'll tell you what it's like: basically you want to shout at the masses, sitting there dumbly blathering to one another about this thing that you liked first. "I liked Andrew Bird two years ago when you were listening to Dave "Gateway Drug to Adult Contemporary" Matthews! Piss off! Go back to your Top 40, assholes!*"

And that brings me to the crux. I saw Andrew Bird this weekend in Champaign and he was amazing. But I was in a bit of a foul mood as a result of waking up at 4:30 AM that morning, and being surrounded by annoying sorority skanks who are here because WPGU played his new, radio-friendly album. Still, if you ever get to see an Andrew Bird concert, do it. The man is a mix of the body type of Jack Skeleton and the insanity and passion of a savant like Willy Wonka. He also plays every instrument on his albums, and writes some of the most beautiful music, overlaid with clever lyrics.

Anyway, my question is this: as much as we want to connect with people, what have you had ruined solely by other people liking it?

- Scott

* You can also read this as "Top 40 Assholes." It's equally valid.

9 comments:

  1. Well at least this post won't be ruined by people liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say wilderness camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was blogging ages before you! You fucking suck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you people, what did this get put up on Digg.com? You come strolling in here at 4:30 and later... where were you at 9:00?

    Pfft, I like this posts early work... now the scene's lame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about Johnny-Come-Lately but a lot of times I hear people going apeshit over things, and others are like "pfft... I liked them before they were popular" and I was like "Didn't care before and don't care now, shut the hell up."

    Where does that put me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poesur! I was ambivalent WAY before it was the fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:35 PM

    ~Blogging: 2000
    ~Ben Folds (Then Ben Folds Five): 1999
    ~skirts with tennis shoes and tube socks. Trust me, I pulled it off. Plus I was 15, so anything worked.
    ~miscellaneous other things that my sibblings "stole" from me like stamp and or bug collecting and writing crappy poetry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Fond as I am of sins in general and yours in particular, it is time to put up a new blog post my pigeon.

    Or else. (I live in New Jersey and I KNOW people in the waste disposal business.)

    Don't think of that as a threat. Think of it as a compliment. With a hint of cement.

    ReplyDelete