Monday, March 05, 2007

Car Wreck

Sorry I haven't posted lately everyone. I got in an accident with my parents' Highlander and it's been kind of a nightmare dealing with all the insurance bullshit since then.

I was driving to St. Louis in my parent's SUV on Saturday and adjusting the radio. For all the nice features of the car it's sound system sounded like shit. Or more accurately shit played through a tin can, recorded on an overused casette, and played back over the phone on a radio call-in show.

Anyway, I'm on a two lane highway headed toward the river road when another car comes up behind me driving like he just robbed a bank. Incidentally, it was the exact same model as the one I was driving, just black and slightly newer. I was speeding by about 5 miles an hour because it was a somewhat cop-saturated area.

I thought at the time that this was apparently nowhere near fast enough for Mr. Black-SUV-Assholerson, as he rode my ass for a few miles before he had a chance to swing out around me. It was the first chance he'd had in miles of oncoming cars, and I thought at the time that he'd picked his moment badly because he had VERY little time to pull it off.

Apparently not enough. Just as I was going to slow down to help him out Black-SUV-Assholerson changed lanes into my car, hard. Broke the all the windows on the driver's side except the back cargo area one, we traded some paint. By this point I had started to stop, but so did he so I was more or less forced into the ditch. This broke the front passenger-side headlight and screwed up the front axel.

We finally got stopped completely, him further up the road by about 20 feet. I got out and very seriously considered charging into him and taking the damages out of his flesh. Instead I screamed raggedly at him the only thing I could think to ask "WHY?! Why did you do this to my parent's Highlander?"

Leaning his head out his window, he said "Because there can be ONLY ONE!" and drove away.

State Farm still doesn't believe me.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:49 AM

    so, is this the most elaborate joke ever, or a true story mildly embellished at the end? Either way twin, well played.

    p.s. Adrian Paul. MmmmmmMmmmmMmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first one. An elaborate, long joke. But it is also a cautionary tale. My parent's don't heed the warning I've given them since they bought the car. But they must understand, there can be only one!

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. dammit! water out my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't take you seriously anymore.

    And yet, now that I've said that, I'm struggling to remember a time when I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew it. You know how I knew it? Because every time I am sitting at a light behind one of those I think to myself, "Is that the One?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ian, I damn your water. Happy?

    Timmy, you once commented something to the effect of "I love that when I finish reading one of your stories I have no idea what parts or even what percentage of it was true." So, this isn't a new thing. By the way, you have to contribute to RCP, or we're kicking you off the board.

    JV, then you, like myself, are tasked with the weighty burden of spreading the word.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete