Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Everybody's working for the Wii-kend

Apologies for a horrible pun, but damn does that tiny white console own my every spare thought. And now that I'm a working stiff, I can afford such frivolities with the same ease I always have, but also with a distinct lack of guilt for knowing it was really my parents who could afford them. A band named CAKE once pointedly asked "Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?" It's me now, baby.

We're just jumping in in the middle here, which works for movies, but since nobody's pointing a gun to my head, and I'm not calmly wondering how I got myself into this situation as the scene freezes, it's probably better to back up a bit. (Besides have you seen Domino? It took a voice over, two types of on-screen, written exposition, and the Director's commentary to keep all those loose threads together. And since there's little chance of Kiera Knightley showing up, I won't put you through that.)

Last Friday, I got a call from a company (we'll call them Tech Industries), there's a roundabout story concerning how I got in touch with them, but it isn't really important. Things happened pretty fast. At 11:00 I talked to them on the phone, by 11:30 I had an interview, by 4:15 I was hired. "Didn't know what Tech Industries was this morning, now I'm working there."

Though technically I'm working for Tech, really I'm contracted out to an international paper company*. The Office theme song rings in my ears a few times a day**. As far as what the job entails, the title is "Computer Operator." I hope I can live up to the lofty expectations it implies. I mean, four years of computer science are all well and good... but do I really feel qualified to be a Computer Operator? Needless to say I'm taking a few classes at the learning annex on the side, you know, just to make completely sure I feel able to operate a computer. (Really though, it's basically a network admin-ish job.)

Best of all? I get to wake up at 1:00 PM everyday, also guilt free, because I don't have to be at work until 3:00. Basically, I've found a job that lets me continue the lifestyle I established while mooching off my parents***. It really couldn't have worked out better.

- Scott

* The trend amongst my closest blogging cohorts seems to be toward not mentioning the name of the company to avoid getting fired, so I'll hop on that bandwagon.
** And really, it should, because I just realized that it would make an awesome ringtone.
*** Even into the workplace, yesterday there was nothing to do for several hours and we were hungry. Solution: Order pizza and watch Beerfest. Was the network still running during all of this? Yes. So technically we were doing our jobs.

9 comments:

  1. you suck and I want your job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:47 PM

    "Sometimes for music you haven't even heard of / And how much did you pay for your rock and roll t-shirt that proves you were there, that you heard of them first"

    This has always reminded me of you.

    -Meg C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got fired for something I wrote on my blog a few years back. And... banned from the property for 3 years. And threatened with a lawsuit. It's why my last name is now Pseudonym and I have a disclaimer in the sidebar. Do not underestimate the bitterness of bosses who want you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at JV emerging from his cocoon of supersecret identity protection!

    Awesome!

    Also, is it just me, or is he hot?

    I'd comment on your post, but it'd be redundant as everything was covered in our last conversation. which was almost two days ago. MADNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where is this super-awesome job and sweet new pad? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:37 PM

    I'm siding with Timmy on this one Scotty. A nice update, but a few details missing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. JV, while I may disagree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it. (Pfft, I freakin' rock). Also, the job in question has a downside that's the same as the upside, Lots. Of. Free. Time. Double edged sword, my friend.

    Meg C., yeah I saw a bit of myself there. Not to mention "I just want to play on my pan pipes, I just want to drink me some wine, as soon as you're born you start dying, so you might as well, have a good time."

    My Pseudonymous friend, yes I know. That's why I dubbed you Pseudonym instead of Peterson, which was also fake. I enjoy the game of not putting your real name out there, but since I basically shout it from the roof-top of every post, I think it's probably too late for me.

    Nessa, I'm alarmed that your dog is now as much a part of your posting experience as you are. That said, it is a pretty cute dog. As far as what you said about JV, yeah I was surprised he left the cave as well. And you're right he's nearly 90% as hot as me.

    Tapewormicus, not even I know the location of my secret lair of villany. Even now I fly by radar only. It could be at the bottom of the ocean, or above the MOON!

    ...or in Jerseyville in an apartment owned by my family. Why not. Could be.

    The jorb is in Alton, though we're moving to Creve Coeur in July. There you have it. I hope you're happy.

    Nathan, see above.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  8. caves...cocoons...I live in a HOUSE! With WALLS. And a ROOF. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GAh! Okay you need to put up a new post, even if it's fluff filler, so I stop getting that song stuck in my head EVERY damned time I visit your blog.

    *humming internally and hating it*

    ReplyDelete