Thursday, January 18, 2007

Buggre Alle this for a Lark!

I've just finished Good Omens*, which itself I suppose is a good omen. At least it signals the start of my actually finishing things. Grad school, I'm looking in your direction. But in a larger sense, I fear my time in the fair city of vice and studies has come to an end. And so it is that I'm moving home while seeking a post-college job.

"Oh really? Moving home after college? Well give us just a moment to duck behind something substantial so we don't get hit by the shrapnel from that mold you're shattering," I hear you saying.

And I reply: "Nobody likes a smartass," gleefully ignoring the number of hits and comments on this very blog suggesting that occasionally, people do like a smartass. Especially a shapely one.

I wrestled this decision for longer than I needed to, having seen that it was really the only viable option days ago. But every Adam needs his Greasy Johnson right**? I guess it was just an elaborate observation of formality, but I really wanted to hate this decision enough that I wouldn't actually go through with it. Unfortunately, my hatred of radiator based heat and my love of laundry magically disappearing from my bedroom floor, only to reappear, clean, in drawers and closets had a large bearing on my decision.

Tomorrow? My thoughts on the ritual of the job search. Sleep well.

- Scott

*A book which forced laughter upon me with all the inexorable force of Gideons*** shoving little green New Testament Bibles into the hands of the off-guard.

** If you haven't read Good Omens and this line doesn't sound dirty to you, I ask you to take a sex education course, see a Kevin Smith movie, and visit the bathroom of any men's room in any Junior High, anywhere.

*** They seem to have taken a page from the homeless in the area and starting working in a net formation. Seeing one ahead of you and crossing the street to avoid him only forces you into another one, cleverly set up directly across the street from where you were attempting to escape the hobos in the first place.

3 comments:

  1. Huzzah for finishing Good Omens! Now I must make good on my end of the bargain. Buggre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:48 PM

    I have mixed thoughts towards your dropping out of grad school. I am surprised you even went because you constantly expressed that you are above schooling your entire time at RMC. I thought this was because of your lack of interest in computers and the general way things are run at RMC. (JLO and JJones made it fun though). Since you are leaving grad school however, you will most likely try to obtain a computer related job? It seems that you are in this ugly area of what the hell do I do with your life. For you this situation must suck to an extent, but to me it gives me a smile when wondering what your next adventure will be. Because it will most definitely be an adventure anytime you are involved.

    Whatever you do, don't become a Field Service Technician and don't work at GTech. Still waiting to see you on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU MUST

    Well? Death said it, and he's hardly one to argue with.

    Zac, thanks for your comment. You've sort of brought up one of the things I've been ignoring. Yes... while I was at RMC I thought I hated computers. But maybe I just hated the stigma that being a computer student held at that school. And when I got out and saw what it was really like, it was actually something I kind of enjoyed.

    ...that and lots of episodes of The IT Crowd.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete