Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Simple Pleasures Continued

You know, it really is the simple things that amuse me the most. Sure, I could go to the movies. But what I like even better is driving around the parking lot and waiting. Waiting for my moment. For that golden opportunity when one of the primo spots opens up near the front of a line, right next to the theater entrance. I then take that spot. But our story, dear readers, does not end here.

Instead, I orchestrate a masterful deception. Everyone in the car gets out and walks to the theater and back. On the way back, we appear as a group just heading to the car. I make a big show of taking out my keys. When I see a car hovering like a jackyl at a carcass I know it's time.

Everyone gets in the car. We buckle up. I put the car in reverse and back out. I get so far out of the spot that I force the car who's waiting to backup too. At this point I'm completely out of the spot, facing down the lane, ready to drive off into the night. ...But I don't drive off. I pull back in. And the schmuck who thought he was going to get a spot? Infuriated.

And then I laugh and laugh. Rinse and repeat as desired. The above post reminded me of it. You should all give it a shot sometime if you're ever (somehow) early for a movie when the lot is packed.

- Scott

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31 PM

    I was with you one time when you did this, in Edwardsville I believe. I often recount the tale and people find it appalling, yet hilarious.

    And I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this in a hurry, and I regret doing so a little. I don't think I caught the blinding rage that I noted from other drivers. Nor the absolute suspense just before driving away... right back into the spot.

    A classic.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete