Monday, November 26, 2007

Ok, I've had it.

Excuse the Thanksgiving break following my spat of posting, which itself followed a month of binge drinking. That said, I have a bone to pick. And here it is:

Christians Boycott "The Golden Compass."

Are you people serious? I thought I had fought this ignorance in the form of correcting a chain email at my office about the story, and now I find it on my internet sites. Will this crap never end? So, for the last time, I'm going to explain to you Godless... err Godfull natives why you should sit your indignant asses back down and consider boycotting something more logical. Like that rock 'n roll music, for instance; I heard it makes young people want to fornicate!

Without further insults*...

Point by Point Reasons the Boycott is Ridiculous.

  1. Most of you were called to action via an email forward.

    If I knew you people reacted so strongly to email messages I would have told you about my imprisoned Nigerian uncle. You see, he has great riches, but he needs a small fee to retrieve them. I was told that you are a trustworthy person and you could help. Please just send $5,000 Canadian, and when we get the riches we wil pay U back with many many more monies!!!1!


    He really need s UR help!! Send money orders to: 1600 N. Liberty, Scamston, MO. Bless you, my brother.

  2. You can watch The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and not want to be Catholic.

    Watching The Golden Compass won't make you atheist. And if it does, your faith in God didn't mean anything anyway, and that you'll be just as happy as an atheist. Probably even happier since you won't be hemmed in by all those ridiculous "morals" forced upon you.

    And if you're worried that it will only tempt you into thinking blasphemous thoughts... well you've probably already damned yourself. You might as well see the season's best fantasy blockbuster. (You might also take up the phrase "well, I'll be damned!")


    Rejected Special Rebranded Edition DVD set.

  3. All the best things are banned and boycotted against by these people.

    Seriously. Examine their stances on birth control, sex, legalization of pot, and video games. It's getting to the point where their disapproval is the equivalent of a ringing endorsement. I've stopped reading the entertainment pages of my paper. I just get on the internet, find out what the kooks are frothing at the mouth about and have a go at it.

    This method works. It's suggested fun new things to me at about 90% effectiveness. That's a better batting average than Amazon and Netflix combined.

  4. Boycotting actually makes people more aware of the movie.

    Ok, reversing my tack from the earlier point: let's say you're silly enough to believe this movie will have adverse affects on people, and that it's insulting to the invisible man who lives in the sky. You only provide more incentive for your rebelling children to see the film by demonizing it.

    Also, it implies that you're of the school of thought that any dissenting idea should be quashed. This is usually the result of fear that your own ideas about life wouldn't hold up in the presence of others. If this is the case, please GO BACK AND RE-READ POINT 2!

  5. Atheists didn't boycott The Passion of the Christ.

    Do unto others as you would have done unto you. Ringing a bell? Somewhere in some book you might have read? What was it... oh yes it was the Bible. Really, look it up. It's in there. Under "D"; for what you should "do".
So that's why you should all just calm down. After all, Atheists can't kill God! We all know that only the Jews can do that! And only at Easter.

Peace to all.

- Scott

P.S. Feel free to email this rebuttal to anyone who sends you those bullshit forwards.

*I'm afraid there was just no way I could keep this promise.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:31 AM

    I'm Christian and i think the movie looks pretty good. But I'm probably going to hell because I laughed at this. So who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will quote the venerable Onion AV Club on this issue.

    "If it's about killing God, it's promoting deicide, not atheism. How can someone murder God if He doesn't exist?"

    http://www.avclub.com/content/tolerability/nov-14-2007

    I was moderately excited before the boycott. Now I'm excited to read the book AND watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry AGTH, they've cut a hole in the underworld! We can escape.

    Timmy, I've read the entire trilogy, and it is fantastic. Read the last book and don't cry. I dare you.

    Also, bonus points to the Onion for the word deicide. I'll add that to the bit I do every time I see a "JESUS" sign as though he's running for office. "Jesus for Deity," I say. I'll be sure to add this to his platform. "Deicide: he's against it."

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all three books as well, and I got to say, I enjoyed it. And I freaked out when I saw they were turning it into a movie, my exact words were: "Man, if those people freaked over Harry Potter, they haven't seen anything yet."

    For anyone out there who thinks this is somehow evil and a sort of handbook for killing God, I have bad news. That means you also believe in the existence of parallel worlds, witches, and knifes that can cut through the space-time continuum... YOU ATHEIST!!! GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 PM

    I must not have been pissing off the right people lately - I didn't get a single email about this.

    I read the trilogy also, and then I got myself a knife that cuts through the space/time continuum and I attempted to kill god. Um...I was not successful. I mean, I was SO there but then he actually rolled his eyes at me and said, "Duuuuude, you're the 8 millionth person to try this schtick this week. It was FICTION. Seriously. You know fiction, right? Have you read the bible? Fiction! THIS WON'T WORK."

    Boy were my cheeks red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right. Finding a picture for number 4 is tricky. I'm actually surprised I don't get any hits when I google for an gay aborted stem cell baby... The internets have let me down.

    ReplyDelete