Tuesday, July 10, 2007

What the hell happened to me?

In short: a new job.

The long version: a shit-ton. I should explain myself. I posted the above and apparently it wasn't enough for the several of you that were on AIM at the time. So I'll elaborate.

A few weeks ago I interviewed at a company called BizNet.1 My headhunter warned me that they were interested in two other people with 5+ years of experience in the field (as opposed to my relative none). But it went well. I mean, anytime you find yourself in a situation where your responses to interview questions leaves the panel in gales of laughter you have to figure you're coming out a little bit ahead.2

And of course, I got hired. If I sound cocky it's because I'm just so damned qualified. Clearly. That must be the reason. I was in the office my first day, and ever since I've been on the road. I apparently learned all I could in those sparse eight hours before they flung me into the field to live or die by the data pipes. So far I've been mostly living.3

I've come to think of myself as a kind of better looking, less serious James Bond. I get my assignments from an attractive female clerk, take a car from the stable, and head out. I'm not to return until the job is done, or I have died.

Which is a possibility on the next big job, which will be in Alaska. The kicker of which is that, since I'm one of the few non-marrieds (not to mention the FNG) it's perfectly acceptable for me to be Shanghai'd into going there for a few weeks. Should be an interesting gig though, they'll have to fly me into remote locations on sea planes (Bondesque), I'll have to dive on submerged data lines (Bondesque), and I'll have to find ways to entertain myself in places with names like Coldfoot (Fur Trapper-esque).

Clearly I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, but I'm trying to find time to blog. I'm hitting my stride out here, so hopefully I'll just be able to incorporate it into my normal "on the road" routine like JV seems to do.

Anyway, that's what the hell happened to me. Any questions?

1 Not its real name. But a rough approximation of meaning and cadence.
2 Provided you meant to make them laugh.
3 In fact, I'm writing this from an reasonably decent hotel with an unreasonably huge bed for me to sleep on. I've got three beers, cable, and the internet. Live it up.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 AM

    I have a question - why do I totally fail to believe that you'll have to dive on submerged data lines?

    could it be because you have never mentioned your scuba qualifications before??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing, they casually mentioned that some of their lines are underwater. And that we would have to work on some of those very same submerged lines. They didn't say I'd have to dive on them. But I think it's clear that someone will have to, and I'm not letting anyone else attempt it.

    Further, we got into a discussion and in my department I'm one of three guys who can swim. The other two are married.

    So, will I definitely have to do some SCUBA work? No. Is it possible. Faux-sure.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job! Will you be participating in the Iditarod? Look I'll be honest that's all I know about
    Alaska. That and Paul Walker did a movie about dog sledding in which he was outacted by the dogs and which was only mediocre. So I mean, try to get pics of you on a dog sled so I can hang on to my narrow-minded and stereotypical view of Alaska.

    Seriously congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:48 PM

    Sarah, WTF? Wasn't that movie with Paul Walker set in in antarctic? I'm pretty fucking sure it was.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 PM

    The movie is called Eight Below and it was Antartica and not Alaska. Don't worry, I didn't waste my money and see it. I worked for the producer of the film when it was being released....and yes, i am sure the dogs are more interesting than paul in the film...they were more interesting than paul in person...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow so I know even less about Alaska than I thought. Thanks for the correction, folks. I would be embarassed, but I mean it's Eight Below so you know-who the hell cares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:12 AM

    So what exactly is it that you do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I know you might be embarrassed about being wrong. But honestly, in a contest to see who knows the most about Paul Walker movies everyone loses.

    Thanks for the congrats.

    J Fi, my girl behind the scenes. Thanks for the info. Scientists at MIT recently proved that there is nothing less interesting than Paul Walker. In fact, since someone casually overhearing might think there's a discussion of Walker, Texas Ranger, in progress only to find out that it's that ass-clown Paul Walker... he's actually an interest black hole.

    Alan: That's an excellent question. I have no idea.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete