Friday, July 13, 2007

What the hell do I do?

Scott Adams recently asked his audience to describe their job in one self-deprecating sentence. Alan "the Great" recently asked me to describe my job in general. In the interest of answering all the idle inquiries of ignominious minds, I shall combine the above into one endeavor and I'll try not to use any semi-colons.

My job:

I install and maintain digital audio and visual recording systems for people that will use them at 1% of their potential, and whose words aren't worth recording in the first place.

I do this for the Courtrooms of Illinois and Missouri. Or at least I did... until today.

Returning from a week-long marathon install, I'm told by my boss that I need to talk with her in the conference room. Alone. In ten minutes. Meeting her in the room she asked how I was doing. Bad sign. Anytime someone wants to know your mental/emotional state before they get down to business it means that they're concerned about your reaction to the coming news.

She proceeded to tell me that they are looking for a replacement for my position.

...because they're promoting me. Because I "...kick far too much ass to continue working in [my] current position." Her words. Really.

The long and the short of it is that I'm now working in a different department within the company (the nice one, actually) as a result of my capacity to absorb large amounts of information quickly. Since I'm now on the medical side instead of legal my new job description (starting Monday) would be as follows.

My job:

I install and maintain business software allowing Luddites and bureaucrats to push more mind-numbing forms across larger distances, more quickly.

To be fair there's also some pretty sweet voice-recognition and OCR software at play. But that was too hard to work into my semi-pithy job description.

So that's what I do... now.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:43 AM

    So... as of now, you set up home theaters, but you will soon be an IT guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:43 AM

    And bugger - does this mean no training in NJ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan: ...bastard. I was setting up systems that ran on Windows 2003 server/Windows 2000 that happened to record audio. It was more IT based than you'd think. I was forever reimaging hard drives, whipping the active directory into shape, screwing with buffer sizes, terminating Cat 5/6 cable, and doing a little programming on Crestron touch screens.

    But yeah... the new position is much more within the traditional role of the IT guy.

    Nessa, sadly this might be the case. But I've been informed that I have 3.5 vacation days for the rest of the year, so anything's possible.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:49 AM

    I love it guy-ing, except when friends phone me to go fix their computers.

    So how does it feel to be a computer guy being forced to work with Windows?

    Tux is your master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. That's awesome. Also, IT guys are the best. I couldn't live without mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Parsons, Joss Whedon is my master now.

    Also, as far as working with Windows: meh.

    H, we really are.

    ReplyDelete