Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Will play WoW for salary

Picture that on a cardboard sign resting dashingly across chiseled pectoral muscles. You'd have some idea of my predicament. That's right Wonder Readers, I've been shitcanned. Gone are the halcyon days of playing World of Warcraft, hiding under floor tiles to scare co-workers, and blogging from work. Also, gone is the working. That too.

I'll not bore you with every detail (and I don't have any desire to offend former employers who might read this), but the short version of the story is that I was hired at the same time as another employee but started a few days later. This established seniority in his favor, and when it came down from the boss's boss's boss that the Operations department would have five instead of six... well, guess who was Number Six*? Me baby, me.

In the intervening time I've spent a weekend with a girl in another city, drank several varieties of beer, almost bought a car, drank some gin, cleaned up my apartment, and had a few drinks. I also watched 12 movies**.

Currently I'm drawing unemployment and plotting my next move. I like the first part better. You don't have a job? Oh, well here's money then. Excuse my prior anti-government rants, because this part clearly works.

So, good readers. I have no idea what I want to do. I could travel, move to another city, get another job, become a grifter, or get my (sham) Doctorate. Really my possibilities are wide open at this point.

What would you like to see me do?



Asides:
* To be fair, so are Tricia Helfer and Patrick McGoohan
** And if you're curious, here's the list:

  1. Before Sunset
  2. Wet Hot American Summer
  3. Pirates of the Caribbean (1)
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean (3)
  5. Waking Life
  6. Les Yeux sans visage
  7. Tombstone
  8. Office Space
  9. Super Troopers
  10. Accepted
  11. American Beauty
  12. Hackers

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Geez! Didn't you just move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not an answer for what I should do next!

    And yeah, but since I'm in close proximity to the place I grew up, I must abandon it for the grass that's greener (and further away from townies).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:03 AM

    Dude, that sucks. You know there's a place that's always greener. I mean, the nickname is "The Evergreen State..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:44 AM

    You forgot Meet Joe Black.

    And don't you dare touch my gin, child.

    -Meg C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's rough, dude. A real tough break.

    Can you look into starting a Battle School? I just re-read "Ender's Game" and really think something like that should exist, if only for recreation. You'll have to do a lot of research in gravitational fields to get the null-g battlerooms right, but you've got some time on your hands, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry, one idea in the can: Move to Seattle. Consider it under consideration.

    Meg, oh yeah. How did I forget? That was like four hours of my life in the basement, during a tornado, arguing about religion. And I'm afraid it's too late to worry about that... It's not like I just downed your Tanqueray, we're talking some McCormick's here.

    Timmy, eh, it's not that bad. I was just lamenting my lack of vacation days. Here I find myself with an overabundance.

    As far as the Battle Room goes, I was just thinking about that whilst flipping through a copy of The Sharper Image. Specifically when I came across this bit of info:

    http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__ZG001

    For 3.6 grand, you can experience weightlessness. If we got a small Dragon Army together, it could be worth it to battle with the randoms in the group. I lead the Ad Hoc toon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:31 AM

    First I get in trouble for not commenting and just mentioning a blog to you and now I get in trouble for not commenting "correctly"? Geez Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're like Babe Ruth's gay brother...Gabe Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:01 PM

    You should wander around the streets looking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scotty, you are both charismatic and maniacal. I think the answer is clear: Start a cult.

    I'm gonna quit my job and go to Battle School. That sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:49 AM

    Hey, I live right near Seattle.... maybe just a national border and bit of water away, but near enough.

    Long story short, if you move to Seattle your fate has been decided. You shall join me in an attempt to take over the Internets, using nothing but 30 able bodied Chinamen and a zeppelin. Our weapons will be ninja stars made out of LOLcat printouts, sheilded by the Cowbell force. We shall travel only by night, and leave nothing but outdated Usenet sigs...

    I have been surfing the internet for the past 4 hours. Approaching critical mass.

    Sorry about that. Anyways, gl finding something to do. I forgot about this blog....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps a blind and deaf Reverend Scott could wander various hospital, bingo halls and nursing care facility hallways. Just walk around very slowly, dressed like Father Guido Sarducci, and stop every now and then to pat an old person on the head and let them know they'll be with "him" soon.

    Or, go on tour the summer with Kelly Clarkson. (Whoops...that's out, too.)

    ReplyDelete