Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Hats off to you, Mr. Durden

Apparently I'm a much more pure person than I give myself credit for. Perhaps even a super-being of some sort (I've certainly got my share of minor-superpowers, but that's stored away for a series of posts and a spin-off novel). I run into this quite a bit, and while at first I thought it was just the odd motivations of a few people I knew, I'm starting to think that I might be in the minority here.

I'll make the statement that seems to bother people, then go from there: I have everything I want.

Or, more accurately, there's nothing that I really want enough to pursue. This was something I had to explain to my parents (when they wanted me to get a job), my relatives (when they want to buy me things), and most recently my co-workers* (when they can't believe I don't want overtime).

I've looked into this deeply over the course of several seconds, and realized that most of the things I want can't be bought outright. So, rather than ponder at why the people in my immediate vicinity have such strange values, from now on I've decided to accept that I am simply a more evolved creature, completely above materialism at least where it involves extra effort on my part.

Tyler would be proud.

* they also stared me with incredulity when I would forget to pick up my check at Best Buy for two weeks in a row. What? I can't be expected to bother with these things.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats. I, unlike you, want everything. My only saving grace is that I know that I don't "need" anything. Its reasoning like this that I'll go weeks with my credit card on the kitchen table so I'm not able to use it to buy ridiculous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you call yourself an American...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only for tax purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Who says I can't be bought outright?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nes, I appreciate your honesty, but unfortunately that would also lump you in with things I don't want enough to pursue. As my female clone, I'm sure you think more highly of yourself than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Reginald.

    That was Reginald Hornstein, the Reginald Hornstein. My pseudo-alter-ego, not to be confused with my female clone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:10 AM

    I believe you are in violation of rules 1 and 2. Stop now... or we will take steps.

    You have been warned.

    ReplyDelete