Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Meteoric Rise

I'm sure you all remember my earlier work in mass media. I was an actor portraying myself in a commercial for Robert Morris College. A humble beginning, but you've got to start somewhere. Although I wanted something better I had no idea that my next job would be the lead in a major motion picture. That's right. Re-read that sentence.

I was writing about the movie Eragon, at the time I thought the trailer was a little hokey. Hell, based on the trailer they could have called it the Neverending Story Vol. 3. But while writing a post tearing it apart I was advised by my agent to stop immediately. Because it came to my attention that I can't make fun of the movie or its any of its inaccuracies because I am actually in the titular role. That's right. I'm playing Eragon.

It happened suddenly, I auditioned, I got the part, they filmed it. You'd think I would remember filming a movie, but as my agent reminded me I was heavily drugged most of the time because I wouldn't agree to sign the NDA. I wanted to blog about it. So they kept slipping me roofies and making me act. It turns out that's what I did with those missing seven months from graduation to grad school.

Kidnapping or not, it was a great experience and I learned a lot (I think). The studio really took care of me. I mean, I even have headshots and everything.


Damn, I'm good looking. I tried to do something with my hair, but they liked it better the way it looks when I just get up from a drug induced stupor. Give the people what they want I say. Especially when they have an army of PA's coercing your conformity.


My facial expression in this scene is directly taken from one I use when brushing my teeth. In fact, I 've taken to shouting 'Brisingr!' when I do. It burns the germs; they don't like it.

So come out and see me on December 15th. I'll be the guy at the theater who looks exactly like the guy on the screen. It'll be hard to miss. I don't know if they'll let me take my bow in, and my leather vest thing is a bit... we'll say "fopish." But I promise to let you pet my dragon (ladies only), and I'll sign things. Maybe even for free.

I'll leave you with a moment of Zen: the fantasticly good, not at all cheesy, wonderfully acted Eragon trailer. Enjoy.



- Scott

7 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! I will totally go see that movie because I am a sucker for special effects. And I will say to whoever will listen "That guy reads my blog! He even said he'd link me on his, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet what with the movie-starness and all. But he will. Mark my words. He will. As you can see, he's a man of honor. And of dragons."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Now you're going to stop talking to me, since you're all 'famous'.

    I know how to top this though! When they cast Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, I'll be Elayne!

    p.s. Son of a BITCH!

    http://www.tor.com/jordan/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, this fellow looks more like noted Hey, Remember the 80s Internet Observationist Mike Fireball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn Nessa,
    You just gained about 7 cool points in my book. I give you seven because that's as far as I got in the series myself. Here's a side note for you: I know a guy who gave his son the middle name "Perrin."

    So yeah... there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:08 AM

    There are no words.... just adoration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Johnny V, thanks we hope to dominate the box office this holiday season. As far as Mis Blogo's Favoritos, that updates on Wednesdays. Like the Top Five/Bottom Five.

    Nessa, no no. I like hangers-on. Ride my coat-tails to fame and fortune. Errm... Greater fortune!

    Jakey, nuh-huh.

    Rowela, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Also, you had best believe that I'm going in there with a plastic sword painted red and drawn on with a sharpie. Possibly even engraved with a soldering iron to say Zar'roc.

    Rob, yeah she does that.

    J Fi, thanks. That's usually what I'm going for.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait a sec -- What do I call you? Scott? Ed? Eddie? Or are the credits old? Which is your real name? Both? Neither?

    ReplyDelete