Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Adventures in not Working part 2

Work is a dangerous place. Bosses, coworkers, sharp objects, and unruly customers conspire to steal time away from Digg reading, Wonder Blog posting, and website founding. Sometimes, you need to protect your perimeters. Sometimes you need to protect das fathja-cube. Sometimes you just need artillery superiority to secure your position in the office.

So that's what I created. By purchasing two separate items I created a mad scientist's weapon of mass distraction. The web-cam-missile-turret. With this I can protect my cube from those that would invade it to pilfer my pens, or my make off with my markers, or do something else that alliterates.

Observe:


Before being mounted on top of an 8 foot wall with a full view of the office.


Still in the testing phase, before sighting in the crosshairs... or figuring out how to apply crosshairs. Note the missle control console to the right.


Night-vision and targeting reticle in place, I'm ready to repel any comers.

Now I've been asked why I'm setting this system up when no one is even really messing with me yet. But I have to look at it like this: my cube neighbor Josh is making his move against the desk in picture #2. I've got an aggressive expansionist on my border. I have to approach this like I'm Poland in 1939... but this time I'm prepared (and not a Pole).

I've got about a 20 foot range, and an accurately sighted in scope up to 15. Josh (late 30's Germany to my east) has a small remote controlled helicopter that's going to know what hit it when it takes one of my missiles.

So that's what I've been doing at work.


(Edit: I forgot to mention the best part. I connected my missile-turret to my desktop that I have remote access to. So I can take a sick day, stay home, and from my apartment still shoot at people. Imagine the terror when a seemingly unmanned USB Missile Launcher suddenly comes to life, turns, and fires.)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I hope JV is taking notes. Because I KNOW he's going to be jealous of this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cube is isolated. I am like the US in 1942. I need one of these now, before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nessa, no doubt.

    JV, make sure to group all your valuable items together in one place... so as to avoid sabotage.


    Jess, thanks. Now you could be Jess like Rory's Jess (a man). But I prefer to believe you're Jess as in Jessica Alba.

    Welcome to my blog Jessica Alba. You're attractive, but I find you bitchy. Still, welcome.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:16 PM

    You need to find a way to remotely reload this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I have one:

    "Hi Robyn... Want a dollar? Because I need you to do me a favor..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:51 PM

    Oh Scott! Jess as in J Fi...a name you recognize much more readily no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah... That should have been you name. As a result of confusing me I'm calling you Alba now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:50 PM

    Alba eh? Well, it could be worse...

    ReplyDelete